Let's start trying to crack the bootloader!

alexp1289

Reaction score
Okay I've been in contact with clockwork mod and he needs as much information about the bootloader as possible. We obviously need to figure out a way to read and write to the recovery. The second thing is we need to figure out as much information about cracking the bootloader as possible. So if you wanna help or have any ideas post below and lets get the ball rolling :)

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

SANhacker

Reaction score
I'd be glad to give it a go but do we have a link to the object code I can boot up in VMWare Workstation ?
So far I've been unable to find anything regarding 2.3.5.

OP
A

alexp1289

Reaction score
I'm not sure what were supposed to be looking for but my first guess would be to look at a system dump.

SANhacker

Reaction score
In my mind a system dump won't help. I need object code for the bootloader itself and being able to boot into VMware would expedite the process. Using the phone could take years.

OP
A

alexp1289

Reaction score
Idk but lets do some research and report back here with your findings.

OP
A

alexp1289

Reaction score
Ok I did a little bit of research and I found out that we can dump the bootloader by using commands if we tweak the clockworkmod bootstrap. The files for the bootloader are hidden so that's why we need to use clockwork mod. So we need somebody that can modify the bootstrap and add some commands to dump those files. I looked into ADB commands and there is no way for me to get those using ADB . And as for RSD Lite, I couldn't find 1 that would recognize my phone. Ask around other forums ask people for help maybe somebody will show up and have more insight on this.

USAFgreg

Reaction score
Props to all of you. I'm a noob when it comes to hacking phones, so i'll let you guys do all the cool stuff and then read about it later :biggrin:

Thach

Reaction score
Props to all of you. I'm a noob when it comes to hacking phones, so i'll let you guys do all the cool stuff and then read about it later :biggrin:

I know what you mean. I am just installing, reading, and trying to learn as much as I can on ADB. I have rooted my OG but that didn't seem to bad for me to understand for the most part, I just really want to know more about what I am doing and other trouble shooting. These boards are the best places to learn about these things though, the members are awesome and always helpful.

OP
A

alexp1289

Reaction score
Okay so I started using terminal emulator on my phone and so far I haven't been able to read and write to the boot partition. I was able to mount the boot partition. For information purposes I'll show you what the boot partition was when I mounted it via terminal.

/osh/boot/

I was also able to mount to the dev partition.

/dev/

That's all I've got for now so if anybody has any more ideas to try anything that would be great you can download a terminal emulator if your a root user and do exactly what I've done.

Further investigation has givin me some more info about the partitions. Check out this page- http://www.addictivetips.com/mobile...plained-boot-system-recovery-data-cache-misc/
According to that information "/osh/boot/" we should be looking in the right place. The only question is how do i copy the contents of the boot partition for further analysis? I'm stumped.

Last edited:
OP
A

alexp1289

Reaction score
Okay so I started using terminal emulator on my phone and so far I haven't been able to read and write to the boot partition. I was able to mount the boot partition. For information purposes I'll show you what the boot partition was when I mounted it via terminal.

/osh/boot/

I was also able to mount to the dev partition.

/dev/

That's all I've got for now so if anybody has any more ideas to try anything that would be great you can download a terminal emulator if your a root user and do exactly what I've done.

Further investigation has givin me some more info about the partitions. Check out this page- Android Partitions Explained: boot, system, recovery, data, cache & misc
According to that information "/osh/boot/" we should be looking in the right place. The only question is how do i copy the contents of the boot partition for further analysis? I'm stumped.

Looks like i was wrong. Here's new info and a file for analysis.
Okay so I finally copied the boot partition into an image file. But I do not know how to open the file or decompile it I need somebody to look at it.

http://db.tt/YdevXOe7

This is where i found the info to get me this far- http://www.droidrzr.com/index.php/to...all-img-files/
That basically means that our file structure is the same as the EU version since the folders were the same on my Verizon RAZR :D

We are making progress boys!!

jtsativa420

Reaction score
Ok I did a little bit of research and I found out that we can dump the bootloader by using commands if we tweak the clockworkmod bootstrap. The files for the bootloader are hidden so that's why we need to use clockwork mod. So we need somebody that can modify the bootstrap and add some commands to dump those files. I looked into ADB commands and there is no way for me to get those using ADB . And as for RSD Lite, I couldn't find 1 that would recognize my phone. Ask around other forums ask people for help maybe somebody will show up and have more insight on this.

I am using rsd lite 5.5 and got it to recognize my phone. I plugged my phone in charge mode. I then later plugged back in again opened rsd lite and it switched itself to pc mode. I let it install drivers and it is in the device list (xt912). Hope this helps.

Last edited: