The 2nd-Gen Enhanced Kindle Fire and the Kindle Fire HD Both Have Locked Bootloaders

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
kindle-fire-hd-big-screen.jpeg

It didn't take long for devs to figure out some sad news. Both the enhanced, second generation Kindle Fire and the new Kindle Fire HD have locked bootloaders. This makes custom ROMs unlikely, although not impossible (never underestimate the genius of our devs!). The good news is that this will probably not stop us from being able to root, and in fact, there is supposedly a root method in the works already. Other than that, a fully hacked device is going to be a tough-nut to crack. As always, we will keep you informed if things change.

Source: Kindle-FireForum via AndroidPolice

npro1464

Reaction score
Yeah, apples to apples, there's NO reason anyone should get a KF. Get a Nexus 7 if u want a 7 inch tab. Get a Galaxy Tab, Transformer, or even iPad if u want a 10 in tab. Who would want to be locked into Amazons walled garden?

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
Yeah, apples to apples, there's NO reason anyone should get a KF. Get a Nexus 7 if u want a 7 inch tab. Get a Galaxy Tab, Transformer, or even iPad if u want a 10 in tab. Who would want to be locked into Amazons walled garden?

it looks like amazon shot themselves in the foot with this one. way to be. and here I thought amazon was better than this

BJPalmer85

Reaction score

That is your opinion. I like amazon and I like there stuff. The N7 is more powerful true, but the KF HD will serve my purposes all the same plus the N7 has no HDMI output, which I will use.

To each their own i guess

B

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
It's not really that big of a deal. The majority of kindle fire owners probably don't even care about a bootloader (let alone know what one is). There are plenty of devices out in that price range that have that feature if it's what you're looking for.