Possible to Wirelessly Tether Mac to Rooted Droid?

Nibbz

Reaction score
topic.

i was wondering if with the wifi tethering app, you can connect a mac, if so can you give me instructions as to how?

ndoren

Reaction score
No reason why not. Standard 802.11G WiFi with optional WEP encryption. I don't know what wireless tethering app is in any of the custom ROMS (I run stock 2.2+root) but try this one if you don't have luck:

Download and install "Wireless Tether For Root" by Muller, Lemons and Buxton. It's in the market and it's free, and it works great connecting to PCs. Should with Macs too, no problem. Well assuming you have a FroYo ROM in your phone (no idea if it works with the older 2.1 Android). Your Mac should find the SSID for the Droid with no problem (the default is AndroidTether).

Whomever said you can't use a Droid 1 for wireless tethering (Verizon for one) is wrong. It works flawlessly.

Last edited:

biz79

Reaction score
Yup, it's a pretty simple process. As stated above, just download the wireless tether app, name the connection, set a wep password, and turn it on. Afterwards, it will appear in the available wireless networks of Airport under device and u just join it.

OP
Nibbz

Nibbz

Reaction score
Yup, it's a pretty simple process. As stated above, just download the wireless tether app, name the connection, set a wep password, and turn it on. Afterwards, it will appear in the available wireless networks of Airport under device and u just join it.

see i did that and my mac connected but my phone never showed that it was connected, and i couldnt use the internet on my mac. solutions?

OP
Nibbz

Nibbz

Reaction score
no matter what I do i cant get my macbook to load webpages. it says its connected and it shows the data being transferred on the wifi tethering app, but i cant get on any webpages. help please?

ilikemoneygreen

Silver Member
Reaction score
try running it unencrypted. Sometimes mine wont work with it encrypted. (too complicated i guess) if your worried about net thiefs then just download the wired tether by the same devs....

OP
Nibbz

Nibbz

Reaction score
tried that too. everything SEEMS to be working. The phone is responding to the comouter, the computer recognizes the connection but I cant do anything, i dont REALLY have a connection even though it says I do.