Possible to update PRL on the Bionic?

Cpt_S

Reaction score
is it possible to update the PRL on my bionic? so far searching here and my google-fu have turned up nothing. is it safe to use *228 on the bionic, or is there another method?

lilhill

Reaction score
The Bionic is a 4G phone, thus updates automatically. Do not dial * 228 add it can fry the SIM card.

Retired OG DROID
DROID BIONIC

Anathema

Reaction score
It won't fry the SIM card if you have already activated your phone. However, it won't do anything either.

With a sim card, every time you hard reset you will search for and update (if available) your PRL.

lilhill

Reaction score
It does it more often than every hard reset. Some phones never are hard reset.

Originally 4G phones let the call go through. It's blocked now...

DROID BIONIC

Retired OG DROID CM7 Supercharged 1GHZ

Anathema

Reaction score
It does it more often than every hard reset. Some phones never are hard reset.

Originally 4G phones let the call go through. It's blocked now...

DROID BIONIC

What 4G phone can't hard reset? I can't think of any.

lilhill

Reaction score
It's not that they can't. Obviously any phone can be hard reset. A hard reset is erasing the phone and setting it back to defaults. As this is something usually only done when the phone is having problems, some phones are never hard reset.

Maybe you meant "soft reset," which is the equivalent of a reboot/power cycle?

The PRL info updates automatically on 4G phones.

DROID BIONIC

Anathema

Reaction score
It's not that they can't. Obviously any phone can be hard reset. A hard reset is erasing the phone and setting it back to defaults. As this is something usually only done when the phone is having problems, some phones are never hard reset.

Maybe you meant "soft reset," which is the equivalent of a reboot/power cycle?

The PRL info updates automatically on 4G phones.

DROID BIONIC

Yeah, I misspoke. I just call that a factory reset. I consider a hard reset as turning off the phone, pulling the battery and SIM card, hold the power button then putting both back in and booting up (whatever people call that these days).

lilhill

Reaction score
Rebooting the phone, whether or not you pull the battery, is called a soft reset.

DROID BIONIC

laugreg

Reaction score
Yeah, I misspoke. I just call that a factory reset. I consider a hard reset as turning off the phone, pulling the battery and SIM card, hold the power button then putting both back in and booting up (whatever people call that these days).

I was told by Verizon that you have to take the battery out, take the SIM out and then put them back in and reboot in order to update your PRL. They recommend once every 90 days. It's not an automatic update.

laugreg

Reaction score
Funny. I called Verizon yesterday just to confirm and their tech support that for 4G LTE phones the PRL (or for 4G phones PLMN) is automatically pushed to your phone when there is an update. In other words you shouldn't have to pull the battery and SIM card out.

lilhill

Reaction score
It's automatic. Can you imagine the signal quality issues VZW would have if ppl it relied on customers pulling it batteries and SIM cards...

DROID BIONIC