Possible to downgrade from Gingerbread to Froyo without rooting or wiping everything?

delitebrite

Reaction score
My phone updated to Gingerbread (without even prompting me for permission first, which is distressing enough) and I absolutely hate it. I used to be able to actually use the features on my phone, but not anymore. It reboots CONSTANTLY, the battery life is awful (it drains in standby...on Froyo, leaving my phone on standby was a way to preserve battery...on Gingerbread, the only way to save battery is to shut my phone off), it overheats all the time (in standby! when I'm not even using it!) forcing me to shut it off for an hour so it'll cool off. I can't browse my music when headphones are plugged in, because it constantly pauses and plays and randomly selects things I haven't clicked on. When I try to listen to music and browse the web at the same time, my music app pops up, closes, pops back up, closes...all while constantly pausing/playing songs. When I try to send a text while listening to music my phone just reboots. The ONLY way I can listen to music is by using the widget or the option on the standby screen before you unlock, and even then, my phone will just randomly decide to pause it. My gallery freezes 3/4s of the time when I try to open it up, my phone can't access 3G half the time....It's just an AWFUL experience trying to do the simplest things on my phone. This is stuff that worked seamlessly on Froyo. I will admit that I had a bit of random rebooting issue running Froyo, but it was limited to one reboot every two or three days, and usually rebooted when I wasn't really using my phone. On Gingerbread, it's rebooting once every two hours, which is insanely frustrating. The rest of the issues I described were non-existent when running Froyo.

So, I really want to go back to Froyo, since you know, I can I actually use my freaking phone with it. But I REALLY do not want to root, because if I mess it up (which I am liable to do), I'm out $500 and I cannot afford to buy a new Droid. I also really don't want to wipe everything, because some of what would be wiped would be stuff that I couldn't ever get back. Is there a way to downgrade without doing this stuff? Or at the very least, a way to downgrade without rooting and a way to back up all my data?

Reaction score
You do not need root to downgrade. And there is no possible way to downgrade without wiping everything. The problems you describe suggest you need to do a hard reset. Any more questions ask.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

OP
D

delitebrite

Reaction score
...so how do I do it, then? And how do I back up my stuff?

OP
D

delitebrite

Reaction score
What do you need to backup?

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

Contacts and media (music, pictures, video). I'd prefer to back-up apps, as well, because I have some that are no longer available on the market, are no longer available for free, or are no longer available in the versions that I prefer. But if that's absolutely not possible, I can manage. Contacts and media are a must, though.

Reaction score
Contacts are stored on the gmail servers so your good there music are on your sd card. Your pictures might be stored on the internal memory so just move them to your sd card. As for the apps get mybackup from the market it backs up your apps and the data as well as restores them.

OP
D

delitebrite

Reaction score
I backed everything up. Now how do I dowwngrade? And restore once everything has been wiped?

Reaction score
Okay before we do complicated stuff, have you done a factory reset?

Reaction score
That should fix the problems with gingerbread but if you want to go back to froyo heres the link of a website that will tell you. Its an article on how to change back to froyoand accept the update for people who have rooted and uninstalled essential programs needed to update but you can use it to go back to froyo. Just dont accept the gingerbread update once you do. It shouldnt have done it on its own. http://www.droid-life.com/2011/09/0...k-to-stock-2-2-to-receive-gingerbread-update/
Post your results. If you have any questions during the process, ask me ive done it plenty times before.

OP
D

delitebrite

Reaction score
I'll try the factory reset first, but how do I restore my stuff afterwards?

And it did do it by itself. /: My phone vibrated, so I was like, "Oh, I got something." But when I looked, it was shutting off. So I was like, "Oh, it's just rebooting." But when I looked back, it was on that screen with the little Android guy and cardboard box and the blue progress bar. And then I was like, "Oh! An update! Exciting!" But it's terrible. )':

Reaction score
Well try the factory reset and see if that fixes the problems if not follow that link. Because i think gingerbread is awesome.