Possible Google Voice Issue

jaybird8521

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Before I purchased my droid, all my calls to my google voice # were free, since I added the number to my friends and family plan, meaning I could call it whenever I wanted and no minutes would be deducted from my monthly airtime.

After getting the droid, I started using the google voice app which makes things a lot easier (no more calling into the google voice system). But I just checked my bill and it seems there is no record of me calling my google voice number even though I call it several times a day. So now all those google voice calls are eating into my monthly airtime.

So either the google voice app is NOT the same as calling google voice directly, or verizon no longer allows free calls to google voice. Of course, nobody at verizon knows anything about this, so I am stumped.

If I have to contine to call google voice directly, then the app is useless to me. Anyone else experiencing this issue? Is there a workaround? Thanks. :)

Shadez

Super Mod/News Team
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69
How do you have the app set up? All calls using google #?

Im not sure I understand because Ive only ever used the google app so never had to call in anyhwhere..

OP
J

jaybird8521

Reaction score
No. I have it set up so I can choose when to use it. After selecting a contact to dial, google voice pops up and gives me the option to: "call with google voice" or "call without google voice."

Shadez

Super Mod/News Team
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69
Great now I gotta check my bill see if Im getting billed for google voice calls..

Luxferro

Reaction score
You don't know how the google voice app works. So you have the wrong expectations.

The app works like this:
1) phone makes outbound_call* to google voice server
2) google voice server connects you to your contact.

*when the phone dials out, to google voice server, it doesn;t use your google voice # to connect. It used various different google voice connection #'s, which vary based on where you are, ect.

If you use the google voice page, it works like this:
1) you click a contact in google voice page via web browser (which uses unlimited data).
2a) google voice makes call to contact
2b) google voice makes inbound call to you, using google #, which is free on unlimting calling to friends and family plan.
3) both parties are connected.

There was a third party app called GV, that used the callback method, but it isn't being developed anymore.

So unless Google changes the way their google voice app works, adding callback to it, you'll never get free calls using a friends and family plan.

edit: Just wanted to say Google Voice app has it's advantages to some people, like me. Who are on lowest minute plans, and don't use voice too often. Have Verizon text blocked, and get free SMS via google voice app that uses unlimted data.

Last edited:
OP
J

jaybird8521

Reaction score
Thanks Luxferro. That makes perfect sense. :)

As far as using the google voice page on your droid, is there a way to get into it quickly, (like how you can access gmail at the push of button) or do you have to manually log into it through the browser each time?

OP
J

jaybird8521

Reaction score
And another quick question... I just checked and found a couple of free gv callback apps available in the store. Can I use them the same way as the google voice page and get free calls or do they only give you free calls if you go through wi-fi? Thanks!

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
So unless Google changes the way their google voice app works, adding callback to it, you'll never get free calls using a friends and family plan.
You can add the access number that GV uses to your F&F list/calling circle. Just be aware that it can change -- though mine hasn't changed in the months that I've used it so far.

There are guides (and threads on this and other sites) that cover GV fairly well. I'd suggest searching for a guide like Gizmodo's and reading up if the info on the GV site isn't sufficient for you.