Poor wifi signal after manual froyo update

firejuan

Reaction score
Hello, I am new to the forum so I hope I provide adequate information. I manually updated to android version 2.2. Everything is running good so far even the flash player with the exception of my wifi. Prior to the update I typically had 2 or 3 bars on the wifi meter in my house, but now I have zero bars even when sitting next to the router.
Model number: Droid
Android version: 2.2
Baseband version: C_01.43.01P
Kernel version: 2.6.32.9-g103d848android-build@apa26#1
Build number: FRG01B

I have performed several reboots and battery pulls. I also tried removing the battery and waiting several hours to use the phone with no luck.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Have you attempted a reinstall of the update? I have heard of people doing the update again and things fixing themselves.
Also try using a program to tell you what your signal level is like "WiFi Finder." If the program tells you you are getting better signal as you near the router it could just be the android icon isn't working right.
After I performed the original 45MB update my wifi never got over one bar. But I performed the second update (76MB) and now all is well.

OP
F

firejuan

Reaction score
Still not working

I reinstalled the larger 76mb froyo version, performed several reboots, and battery pulls. I downloaded wifi analyzer. My network and my neighbors networks are showing up, they cycle from a good signal to a bad signal. My network is ranging from approximately -50-60 dBm to -100 dBm every few seconds. I am even more confused; I ran a speed test and my download was much improved ~1.5-2 Mbps (2.1) vs. 2.81-5.32 Mbps (2.2), but then I could not get it to even test (-0.00 Mbps).

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Well I guess you have exhausted my expertise. Sorry I couldn't help you.

OP
F

firejuan

Reaction score
Thanks for your help. I guess I may have to perform a roll-back or phone reset. I was trying to avoid that…oh well.

OP
F

firejuan

Reaction score
Defeated

I performed a factory reset then a hard reset without any luck. My wifi is still not functional. My only hope is that the next update will fix the problem or I will be able to swap phones if it continues not to function properly.

chemprofjoe

Reaction score
Apparently there is a problem with Froyo and some Droids. I got the OTA update and had no wifi signal. Called Vz and they sent me a replacement phone. (Makes me think this is a common problem since they sent a replacement quite readily.) The replacement had 2.1 and worked fine. It did the OTA update the next day (yesterday) and wifi is fine. So, I suggest calling tech support.

ouchcube

Reaction score