Poor battery life after last update

jimv2000

Reaction score
I've notice that since the update a couple weeks ago, my battery life has been sucked away by cell standby. I'm losing 3-4% per hour of non-use. It used to be barely anything.

For testing, I turned on airplane mode before bed last night, and I lost less than a percent of power in 6 hours. Usually it would eat 25-30% overnight.

Any ideas?

Sent from my SCH-I500

Jamis0n

Reaction score
Charge your phone like everyone else in the car or at work. Not to be rude but this topic is like 30+ from everyone's since the phone came out. Btw I never do. My setup:

-Play with your setting,
-use your power widget,
-keep orientation off[when the phone flips to all sides(beautiful Widgets gas a toggle widget for this)],
-use launcher,
-keep wifi and Bluetooth off,
-vibrate uses a lot of juice,
-use stock task MANAGER and not task KILLER.
-live wallpaper is nice but I can handle not having it.

Everyone's phone is acting differently. This is my set up and aftet my 1 hour of use before work and 8.5 hours in my pocket I'm at 70~75% still.

8pened!

OP
J

jimv2000

Reaction score
Jamis0n, if you have nothing to contribute, don't post. Your generic battery tips do not address the very specific problem that I'm experiencing. The cell radio is sucking up power like crazy since the update. It has nothing to do with apps or screen rotation or any of the rest of what you posted.

Sent from my SCH-I500

Jamis0n

Reaction score
It helps way more than posting more topics instead of using your search option. Youre wasting space like the froyo topics. Calm Down. I wasn't trying to offend I'm giving input.

8pened!

fascinateme33

Reaction score
I have had my fascinate for a couple months and have grown weary and confused after reading and then trying all the different ideas and apps to download to save battery...it never seemed to help much. Now I'm back to following the general rules of saving battery and using the stock task manager. My battery is usually down to 20% after 8 hours of what I would consider an average of moderate to sometimes heavier use at work. Which is no different that I could tell from when I was trying all the different battery saving techniques. I also noticed no difference after the recent update. I ordered a new Samsung battery and charger off of ebay and will start carrying an extra charged battery with me for when I do lose all power and have no access to charge the one in the phone...which hasn't happened yet.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using DroidForums App

AllForNaught

Reaction score
You know what? You're phone is on too much then. Seriously. My phone, as of right now, is at nearly 100% charge after being on... Wait for it... 14 hours. How?

Well, I work 8 hours a day. There is absolutely no need to have any wireless communications turned on until I'm damn ready to use them, which was about a dozen times today. It's quick, and it's easy: Airplane mode. It's your friend.

I find it hard to believe most adult, working smartphone users are whittling their batteries down simply for the convienience of being "connected" at all times. It's ridiculous.

When I want to check my emails, facebook events, youtube channel/subscriptions, droid forum updates, etc and so on, I simply kick airplane mode off, hit the update button on my power widget, check everything, kick airplane mode on and get back to work.

And on days off? I'm connected all day, and STILL have about 75% power after 14 hours!

Also, if I'm watching a movie or reading a book, or playing a game, and not expecting any important calls: I kick airplane mode on. It takes about 2 seconds. Do you battery killers REALLY need to be connected every minute?? Hell, you're phone is idle more than you're actually using it, and that's wasteful, period.

want a droid

Reaction score
When you have family and people around you that you care about, you want to be reachable 24 hours a day. Which is not unreasonable in the least bit. To say someone "has to be constantly connected" just because they won't put their phone in airplane mode is beyond rediculous.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

RUSHgsxr

Reaction score
What's with all the hostility in this thread fellas?? As to your question, are you leaving 3g on? I noticed when I turn it off when I'm not using it my battery life triples almost... it sucks a ton of power even when idle

Sent from my ADR6300

Jamis0n

Reaction score
The hostility wasn't needs by the original postee and others who are frustrated. Again us the search option for finding your needs. If you're looking for special treatment go to the reps at vz and they'll offer you an extended battery or update your roaming. Other than that take our opinions that we care about your query as being part of the android community.

8pened!

P.s. jimv2000 you never specified what you were doing or using so calm down the hostility. Hope your issue gets fixed.

AllForNaught

Reaction score
When you have family and people around you that you care about, you want to be reachable 24 hours a day. Which is not unreasonable in the least bit. To say someone "has to be constantly connected" just because they won't put their phone in airplane mode is beyond rediculous.

What's "beyond ridiculous" is expecting a single device designed for a myriad if features (movies, internet, books, photos, social networking, news, phone calls, texting, calendar, calculator, vide games etc and so on) and a to have the battery life of a standard cell phone.

If you need to stay connected to your family via phone service/texts, you might be better off with a standard cell phone.

Let's put it this way: I'm enjoying ALL the features of my phone (was just watching The Town on it), and it sounds like my battery life is at least triple what you get.

One of us is managing his device as intended, and getting more out of it, and the other wants it to run on fairy dust and good wishes while it's battery emulates a Pac Man death, sitting idle between calls/texts/3G functions and not being played with.

So today: played 4 NFS Shift London events, watched The Town, took 8 phone calls, 21 messages, 4 facebook sessions, 1 memo, shot 6 minutes of HD video, took 5 pictures, all with a live galaxy wallpaper, these droid posts, and several email updates, and I'm @ 70% after about 15 hours.

What did you do on yours today? Where is your battery charge going? One of us should be using a standard cell. The other is making use of a robust feature set efficiently, and having a load of fun with it.

want a droid

Reaction score
My battery life is fine. We have two completely different phones, and your argument is making no sense. Do you get 48 hours charge out of your device? No? Then what is the point of keeping it off the charger while you sleep?

If I can make it through the day to the point where I don't need to put it on the charger til I sleep, then I'm doing just fine.

I run my phone to its extent. I always have sync running, my brightness is on the highest (full) and I'm constantly using it whether it be for simply messaging or phone calls to web and forum browsing.

Because most people want to be reachable 24/7 does not mean they should stay away from a smart phone. Emergencies happen. It would make zero sense to use the strategy of putting your phone in airplane mode when you're not using it for most people.

Then again, as demonstrated by your posts, you must not have people around you where you'd want them to be able to reach you at any point in the day say they need you.

AllForNaught

Reaction score
Because most people want to be reachable 24/7 does not mean they should stay away from a smart phone. Emergencies happen. It would make zero sense to use the strategy of putting your phone in airplane mode when you're not using it for most people.

Then again, as demonstrated by your posts, you must not have people around you where you'd want them to be able to reach you at any point in the day say they need you.

You know what? That's correct. I DON'T have anyone in my life that needs to reach my droid phone 24/7 - mostly because I'm actually WITH the people I would consider close enough to need help in an "emergency" situation... Unless I'm at work, in which case I'm on company time, not my time, and therefore have no need to have my phone draining unnecessary power maintaining a signal - so I just check on stuff during breaks, and downtime.

And I maintain that anyone needing 24/7 to be accessible to "important people" is better off with a pager or dumb phone - you know, like MOST doctors, lawyers, businessmen, etc.

Airplane mode and WiFi are perfectly viable for us normal folk who want our smartphones to be at the ready when we DO want some entertainment out of it, and aren't so neglectful of our loved ones that our phones need to be actively connected to 3G burning juice with a blank screen in our cases.

Lastly, I'd rather spend time enjoying my phone than charging it - which also decreases battery longevity. There's absolutley no way you're getting the battery life you say with those settings - sorry.

Jamis0n

Reaction score

What's "beyond ridiculous" is expecting a single device designed for a myriad if features (movies, internet, books, photos, social networking, news, phone calls, texting, calendar, calculator, vide games etc and so on) and a to have the battery life of a standard cell phone.

If you need to stay connected to your family via phone service/texts, you might be better off with a standard cell phone.

Let's put it this way: I'm enjoying ALL the features of my phone (was just watching The Town on it), and it sounds like my battery life is at least triple what you get.

One of us is managing his device as intended, and getting more out of it, and the other wants it to run on fairy dust and good wishes while it's battery emulates a Pac Man death, sitting idle between calls/texts/3G functions and not being played with.

So today: played 4 NFS Shift London events, watched The Town, took 8 phone calls, 21 messages, 4 facebook sessions, 1 memo, shot 6 minutes of HD video, took 5 pictures, all with a live galaxy wallpaper, these droid posts, and several email updates, and I'm @ 70% after about 15 hours.

What did you do on yours today? Where is your battery charge going? One of us should be using a standard cell. The other is making use of a robust feature set efficiently, and having a load of fun with it.

I wonder what I'm doing wrong to get that much usage -__-..

8pened!

kptphalkon

Reaction score

You're nothing but a douchebag. How about you keep your comments to nobody but yourself if you're not going to say anything useful. If i wanted a full featured portable pocket computer yet i wanted to keep the things turned off that i actually got it for, i wouldnt have wasted my money.

People use their smartphones for different things, and aside from that different models do have better or worse battery usage. Be useful instead of being a jackass.

For the record phone calls and texting, except for mms, DO NOT use 3G. When i first got my droid i found that juicedefender is a damn useful app for preserving battery life while still being reachable.

Sent from the F-Zero cockpit on my D2G

DTKempII

Reaction score
I confess, I am "beyond ridiculous". I do expect to be connected 24x7 in this day and age...but that's why I am also willing to keep a charger in the car, in the office and at home. I still manually enable and disable GPS, Bluetooth, 3G Hotspot and Wifi, as needed. I will try Juicedefender and perhaps other apps to help. I won't think twice about replacing my battery when it fails me.

Can you find it in your heart to forgive me?

Feature phones are fewer and harder to find. Verizon charges data plans on most of those they now offer...so might as well have a smartphone! Pagers? Do they still exist?! I'm sure there is an App for that!