Please Read this and give me your opinion. It Can't be, Can it?

moparharn

Reaction score
I have spent days on and off the phone with Verizon and Motorola tech support trying to get my email working from my two aol accounts, one comcast, one yahoo, and one pop3 business account. I went through an exhaustive set up on Friday after I bought it(using the email icon). It worked well until Sat. night or Sunday when it stopped sending emails. This morning (and all **ucking day) I called Verizon and they said that the phone is not being received well by these providers and the pull request will have to be re established by pulling the battery or going to each account and requesting the email. They said the Linux software is foreign to these providers and they are not cooperating with the new phone. At this point they said that if I use the Gmail account I can set it up to grab all of my emails and I then went through this process on the Gmail site of setting up the importing of email for all of the accounts. At this time all of my emails were downloaded sucessfully and showed up on the Gmail page. Ever since then not one email has been sucessfully forwarded by Gmail. I get back on the phone and spend hours arguing with with people from India who represent Verizon and Motorola, neither of whom speak understandable english or understand much about the Droid. It was so incredibly frustrating!!!!! I love this phone and what it can do, but if it can't reliably send me my email it is going back for an Iphone or a Storm2. The conclusion from both Verizon and Motorola was that I should set up the email using the Email icon again as Gmail CANNOT send me my AOL, Comcast, and Yahoo mail (I think they are wrong), once I re- set up my accounts, in the next few days these email providers will allow the phone to access the email (start cooperating with it). The email providers just need time to adjust to the phone as it just came out on Friday. Is this bullshit? Does anyone know the real story on this because I can hardly understand the Indians who can't understand the phone. I am not being racist, I simply mean I find it hard to comprehend their accent.
I would appreciate any help I can get because I want to keep this phone. If I miss the wrong email, I could be toast.

I think Moto, Verizon, and Google have put too much on the back of the consumer with this phone. I know that I am not technically savy, or at least as much as many people on this board, but who did they think they were selling this thing to? This is what business has come down to, farm it out to low cost countries and hope it works? Introduce a phone that is not yet ready to work with most of the major email providers? This can't be........... can it?

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
So far I have my aol account on the phone along with 2 gmails, i have had zero issues with push, pop3, or imap. I will try putting my aol on their just for testing purposes. Still trying to get my exchange working (we have it set up a weird a** way lol).

Though I have learned along time ago for most of these companies that you have to deal with an out of the country help desk, they are required by their contracts that if you ask for a USA rep they have to transfer you.

jcortes

Reaction score
Sounds like BS to me. Are you able to get these accounts easily through outlook or any other email client? if so could you compare the settings in outlook to the ones on the droid including ssl authentication and ports. Please post your smtp and pop settings, minus personal information, to the forum so we can help.

jweber

Reaction score
I have 3 different accounts forwarding to my gmail so that gmail can push them to me. I am having no problems at all. In fact it works better than I thought it would. I usually get the email within 10 seconds or so from the time it is forwarded.

Do you have your settings setup allow background data to auto-sync? maybe that is what is needed for the push

I love how I was able to setup all my contacts in gmail and push them into the phones contact list as well... it was awsome

OP
M

moparharn

Reaction score
I love how in the ten hours I have been on the phone

no one from Verizon or Moto asked me the same questions you guys just did. Per their intructions I have re loaded all the accounts into the email set up and they all received the test I sent. I then deleted all of the Gmail forwarded accounts. I moved the email icon back up to the desktop.
As far as Gmail is concerned- "background data to auot sync" is this in the routine set up or in another area as I don't remember seeing this when I set it up. I think this means I probably did not have it set to auto sync background data. Is this important? It sent all my emails on start up and then never again. Is this baloney about having to re establish the pull command if I use the standard email set up really true, and will itgoaway as they said in a few days when the email provider get friendly to the new phone?
Thanks for the help!!!!!!!!! No one else seems to be able to provide it.

OP
M

moparharn

Reaction score
What about a software called Exchange by Touchdown?

The phone is currently receiving my emails, but if Verizon is correct, it will stop receiving them in a day or so. I hope not. If it screws up again, would this Echange by Touchdown be a possible way around my problems?
Should I check into the previous post about auto sync background data?