Please help with root. I am very new. Droid 2 Global

CowboyCombat

Reaction score
Ok guys I am new to the Android OS/Phones, and believe it or not I would like to root my phone. I have no idea where to start and have no friends that know how to do so and the web tends to over-inflate me with too much info. And I was hoping someone could maybe be kind enough to help me understand it if anyone has some free time. I currently have the Droid 2 Global. I would like to use Cyanogen [from what I saw I was impressed so I just kinda said hey I want that one! :) ]. Please help.

13th angel

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Google z4root, it is 1 click root. Unfortunately CM will not work on our devices because the bootloader is locked. The only "rom" for d2g's is fission 2.4.3. It is basically just a reskin that removes all of the blur (moto's ui). However, you can also use droid 2/droid x roms to work by using the Team Get R Done ROMer. However, the sensors do not work with it.

If you have any questions just ask and ill help :)

sent from a D2G with Liberty 2

OP
C

CowboyCombat

Reaction score
Confused :)

Thank you so much for the reply. Ok you kinda lost me already. For example I've see other devices such as the G2, Nexus, and other phones running what I've understood as the custom rom Cyanogen. Like I said I wanted something with the same little features (but as you said our devices wont run CM, are there other roms that are similar, and also what exactly are the differences between Roms?), and also get rid of all this bloatware. I'm just terrified of bricking my phone and was hoping maybe you or someone could maybe walk me through the steps to avoid that.

eMWu

Reaction score
How did you miss the first sticky topic in this forum?

OP
C

CowboyCombat

Reaction score
How did you miss the first sticky topic in this forum?
Hey buddy I saw the post. I was trying to maybe get someone with a bit of free time to explain these files and things. You must not have read that not only am I new to bootloading and roms, but I also stated that Im new to Android OS/Phones. I am also new to smartphones. So I didn't want to brick my phone. So if you have any relevant info or care to take the time to explain to help me so I don't have to end up buying a new device should anything go wrong thanks chief! dancedroid

2mnydgs

Reaction score
You may want to download Astro File Manager, Titanium Backup and I also have found Dropbox helpful.

The tutorials in the sticky are wonderful and may I suggest perhaps viewing a few examples on youtube (so you sort of know what to expect)

OP
C

CowboyCombat

Reaction score
You may want to download Astro File Manager, Titanium Backup and I also have found Dropbox helpful.

The tutorials in the sticky are wonderful and may I suggest perhaps viewing a few examples on youtube (so you sort of know what to expect)

What exactly are those programs and what do they do?

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
You also may want to know from someone who has rooted many times and gone back to stock that I bricked my D2 last week while going back to stock.

Also, it may be a good idea to take a look at this thread: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...otloaders-rooting-manufacturers-carriers.html

And we are here to help, eMWu just asked how you missed the thread. I often wonder that as well. I never tell anybody to search but if there is a thread right there on the same page, it does give you cause to think "How'd they miss that?"

clouse2013

Reaction score
What exactly are those programs and what do they do?

Astro is a file manager so you can open, move, deleted, etc... files on your SD card. Titanium backup can help back up your apps so when you switch roms (you have to delete data to do this) you can get everything back and not lose any of your information. Its also nice to have a back up of your apps on your SD card just in case.

Last edited:
OP
C

CowboyCombat

Reaction score
You also may want to know from someone who has rooted many times and gone back to stock that I bricked my D2 last week while going back to stock.

Also, it may be a good idea to take a look at this thread: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...otloaders-rooting-manufacturers-carriers.html

And we are here to help, eMWu just asked how you missed the thread. I often wonder that as well. I never tell anybody to search but if there is a thread right there on the same page, it does give you cause to think "How'd they miss that?"

Thank you so much hook glad I read that before I did anything. Conscience and smarts set in lmao, and I am no longer going to go through with the hack. Not worth a bricked device/account...

OP
C

CowboyCombat

Reaction score
To everyone else that helped me , thank you so much for your time a cooperation. Take care! :)

13th angel

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Sorry, couldn't really help much since im at school. About the article that hook linked to, no one really knows what's going to happen. It may or may not end up happening like P3 thing, even he's said he doesn't know what the carriers are going to do.

@hook how did you perma-brick? I read that you had but didn't think to ask till now.

biknut1

Reaction score
Rooting & Bricking

Thank you so much hook glad I read that before I did anything. Conscience and smarts set in lmao, and I am no longer going to go through with the hack. Not worth a bricked device/account...

Like you, I was apprehensive about rooting and rom'ing. There is enough info on these forums to drive you crazy! I am also very visual, meaning I have to see it before I can comprehend it. But I finally did it, and have never looked back. I'll try to give you some basics.

Search and download to your computer RSD Lite, and the Full SBF file for the D2G. Leave those on your computer- they are there IF something goes wrong. (Search this forum for all of the files/apps- they aren't all here, but you can find out where to get them.)

Now, search for and install Koush's Bootstrap Recovery app. Move it to SD Card, run the zip, and install it. When it installs, hit Bootstrap Recovery. This does some kind of hocus-pocus magic on your phone that lets you go ahead with the rest of the step you want to do.

Next, download z4Root and place it on the root of your SD Card. Click on it to unzip it, and it will give you the option to install- select that option. It will install the app on your phone. Select permanent root.

Next, download an app manager. Most folks seem to like Titanium Backup, but I use AnTek Root Manager because it's free. With this app, you can freeze all the bloatware you want, but read some articles in this forum to find out which are necessary and which you can do without.

IF YOU LIKE, YOU CAN STOP AT THIS STEP!!! That means you do not have to put another ROM on your phone, you can just freeze the junk and leave it alone.

Like you, I wanted to use Cyanogen. But then I found out that we CANNOT use it on the D2G! Don't try it, unless you want to buy another phone. Give this one up!

If you want to ROM, go to TeamDefuse website and download the Fission Rom Manager. Transfer it to the root of your SD Card and run the zip on it. Again, you will be asked what to do with it- select Install. When it opens up the manager, it will show you the different downloads available. Select the 2.4.3 rom, the 2.4.3 update, the SIM card fix, the BASH file, pick out a theme (if you like), and there are a few other options on there like which gallery and keyboard you would like to use. Click the button at the bottom (Install, I think) and it will list all the downloads you selected. Click up top Backup, and then click Wipe Cache. Hit the button on the bottom again, (again, I think it is Install), and then watch the magic begin!

If all of this goes well, you are rooted and rom'ed!

In my short time on here, I have not heard of anyone who has bricked a phone beyond recovery unless they were doing something that couldn't (shouldn't) be done. Like maybe, trying Cyanogen. The only ROM's we have right now are Fission 2.4.3, and Liberty (some version, not sure) if you use Team GRD's ROM'mer to go with it. If you go this last route, you will not have the use of sensors as you currently know them on your phone (tilt, landscape, etc).

Good luck- let us know how it turns out!

OP
C

CowboyCombat

Reaction score
Sorry, couldn't really help much since im at school. About the article that hook linked to, no one really knows what's going to happen. It may or may not end up happening like P3 thing, even he's said he doesn't know what the carriers are going to do.

@hook how did you perma-brick? I read that you had but didn't think to ask till now.

Well I am still interested in the features that rooting brings to the device. I'm not a pirate I have paid apps and what not. I just can't stand how slow my phone is with all the bloatware and I generally liked what I saw on the Fission Mod.I'm just so nervous about it ya know lol. Well with these phones being so expensive anymore. Let me ask you since I see you have the Liberty Rom, what would you do after reading that post? Follow through or no? And what is the worst case scenario should something go wrong.

13th angel

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
I would do it. I had this phone for 3 days whe I rooted. That's just me though. Its really up to you. I was kinda nervous when I rooted and the first time I had to sbf scared the crap out of me. Now I've sbf'ed multiple times and it doesn't bother me in the least.

@biknut1, we don't officially have liberty. We have our romer that let's us use all d2/dx roms though