Please help need advice... Confused

MrSinister1

Reaction score
Hello folks I need some help. I'm not sure what to do in this particular situation and I hope I'm posting this in the right place I searched and browsed and couldn't find exactly what I was looking for. I recently purchased a DroidX and when I did I gave my rooted original droid to my girlfriend who has an eris. Last night I had my droidx activated thru verizon using *228 and had all my info transfered, at the same time when completed I had sarah's info transfered to the OG droid and deactivated the eris. Once all was completed test messages, test calls, and test emails were all sent and worked fine.
Now on to the problem, the OG droid is running CM6 stable, a chvy kernel, and EVOlution theme if that matters. We noticed 2 X's in the notification bar pertaining to gmail sync failed for my accounts(one primary and secondary) we setup sarahs gmail account but its not the primary account and I had no problem removing my secondary account but it wouldn't let me remove my primary account from the phone without a factory data reset and everytime we tried to login to her account it kept asking for my login info for the primary account. So we did some research on factory reset with a rooted droid and didn't think their would be a problem. Well it started acting really funny and locking up no matter what we did and then I pulled the battery after a freeze and the next boot it would boot to the CM6 boot anime and just stay there. So I booted into recovery and restored to a known good point and the phone worked fine but it obviously still has all my stuff.
So I need to know what my options/solutions are for fixing this situation. If I have to lose root thats ok but I would rather keep it. If thats the case I have Universal Androot on the phone(which supports my device) is that what I should use or should I use another method. As I said we would like to keep root if possible. We are trying to get to a point where it doesn't have my info on the phone or keep asking for my gmail login info and she's the primary account holder and everythings tied to her account info including gmail, market, apps, etc. etc. and then we can customize to her liking. Any and all help/advice would be very much appreciated. Thanks in advance to everyone and thank god for droidforums.net I love this place its been so much fun toying around with this stuff(even situations such as this) over the past few months with an amazing community churning out stuff so fast and interesting my phone was different everyday almost, you guys are amazing devs, themers, testers, and supporters and I've learned SOOO much in the past few months that its mind blowing and look forward to much more here. Thanks again all you guys deserve the praise and the donations you receive.

Bob Dammit

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Boot into recovery, wipe data, cache, factory reset multiple times (3-5 times). Reflash CM6, if thats what she wants to run. Boot back up, and she will need to enter all of her email info to sign in for the first time. Some people have had issues with syncing across multiple ROM's, and a comon solution is turning off the sync option and turning it back on.Go through the activation process again, and she should be good to go.

xkape

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
I would like to add that deleting the cache for that app would be helpful. Deleting the cahce in recovery removes it from the internal memory but it does not remove it from the SD card. If YOUR info is stored there, it will keep reverting to it.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
Format the SD card, wipe system/data cache 3x as previously suggested, and either flash a new ROM or see if it'll boot fine now.

It should be just like fresh install of CM 6 or whatever you put on it. Failing that, SBF the phone back to stock and start over.

OP
MrSinister1

MrSinister1

Reaction score
I'm still a little confused treat me like a noob I'm going to try the things suggested tonight. Also not sure if this helps but im wanting to put bugless beast on it for her and also I usually use Rom manager and clockwork if that helps

xkape

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
MrSinister.. do you have anything on the SD card that you would like to keep? If so, link upto the computer and mount it. Then move the "keepers" to your computer so they are safe. At this point.. follow furbearings instructions... (We might as well start clean since it's now her phone ya know. You will not lose root in this). Unlink yourself from the computer (to be safe. Not sure if it really matters) Hit the menu button and goto settings>SD card and storage. Now, unmount the SD card and then in the same menu, format the SD card. It will now be wiped completely clean (including all backups). Once that's done, download whatever ROM you want and put the zip file on the SD card. Now, turn the phone off and go into recovery. Hold down X and turn phone on. Hold power and X until the M logo comes up..... Now in the recovery menu, wipe your data 3 times and wipe your cache 3 times.

If done right, your phone should be wiped completely clean minus that ROM you want. From here you can either reboot the phone and run stock ROM rooted or you can flash that ROM.

Doing so depends on if you are using ClockWorldMod or SP Recovery.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
Good writeup, xkape -- only thing I'd add at this point is to make sure you hold the X after the M appears. Keep holding it till you boot into ClockworkMod Recovery, then you can wipe and wipe and wipe some more. :)

Bob Dammit

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Just my $0.02 to add to xkape and FBM, if you have a large amount of data on your sd card to save (pictures, music, etc), use a card reader to back up your sd card to your computer. It will take FOREVER to transfer from your droid.

OP
MrSinister1

MrSinister1

Reaction score
Thanks a million folks I'm bout to try the suggestions thanks to everyone for their help I'm gonna put a full charge to it copy my files and get to it thanks again, great directions as always. I'll let you know how it goes, also could someone link me to a good rooting guide for the droid x

OP
MrSinister1

MrSinister1

Reaction score
hey fellas thanx a million, everything worked great. furbearingmammal, xkape, and Bob Dammit the help worked wonderfully she's up and runnin BB v0.5 and everythings under her account all data has been wiped and you don't know how happy she was so I really appreciate the help and the great part is I still get to play with my old droid cause she's gonna have it, I can still flash roms and themes cause she has no clue what it is or how to do it she just knows she loves it and can't get over the upgrade from her eris to the droid. Now on to the X and I can't wait.:icon_ banana: you guys are amazing