Players don't detect music on my SD card after ICS update

silverfang77

Reaction score
They are in a folder called Music on my SD card. In Gingerbread, all music players detected them. Under ICS none of the players (Winamp, My Music or Google Play Music) find them. I've uninstalled Winamp and rebooted with no remedy. What do I need to do?

Tappin' and talkin' with Tapatalk.

silver6054

Reaction score
They are in a folder called Music on my SD card. In Gingerbread, all music players detected them. Under ICS none of the players (Winamp, My Music or Google Play Music) find them. I've uninstalled Winamp and rebooted with no remedy. What do I need to do?

Is there a "Refresh" option? (I use PlayerPro and there is an option to basically recache the Music Library). My Music also works for me on ICS. Can other applications see the SD card?

OP
silverfang77

silverfang77

Reaction score
Not that I can see in any of the players. If I use Root Explorer, the files are still there. I just tried moving all the files to the computer, reformatting the card in the phone, then putting everything back and it made no difference. The My Gallery app doesn't detect any of the pictures and videos I have on the card. I'm trying the SD Rescan app, but it's stuck on Preparing with the throbber running. I don't know if I should wait and see if it actually scans the card eventually, or if it will simply be stuck like that forever. The card is 32 GB, so perhaps I'm being impatient.

silver6054

Reaction score
I have a 64GB card and it is quick to find newly added stuff, so it's probably not the card size. Hate to suggest, but did you try a factory reset?

OP
silverfang77

silverfang77

Reaction score
That's the one thing I was hoping to avoid, though it looks like I may not have a choice.

OP
silverfang77

silverfang77

Reaction score
Well, after all that, the files suddenly showed up again.

Would a factory reset help with the battery? It lasts maybe half as long as it did with Gingerbread.

silver6054

Reaction score
Well, after all that, the files suddenly showed up again.

Would a factory reset help with the battery? It lasts maybe half as long as it did with Gingerbread.

When did you get the update installed? Moto recommends waiting a day or so to let it "settle down" after the major update, the phone is doing a lot of syncing and updating, using up the battery. Doing a reset too early can just make it restart all that stuff. So if it is less than two days, and you have no other major issues, I would wait, and only then if the battery life is bad, do a reset. I don't know why Verizon doesn't somehow put this info out as well!

OP
silverfang77

silverfang77

Reaction score
I don't know why either. That would be helpful.

ndoren

Reaction score
To those who no longer see your music (or photos/video) after the update...

In my case, the media database was corrupt. That's what the music players use to reference the installed music.
To fix this, go into settings->manage apps->ALL services. Scroll down and select "Media Storage." Then hit the "Clear Data" icon.

You must then reboot your phone, and at boot the phone runs the media update service in the background. It could take up to an hour for this database to be populated and updated. At that point, you'll see your music again in your players, and your photos and movies in the gallery.

Let me know if this works for you. Neall

calorie712

Reaction score
Let me know if this works for you. Neall

Didn't work. Cleared data, rebooted, scanner took off, finished, no media. I took out the card, pulled battery, verified it is on there via USB. I don't know.