Play Store Updates

kixfan

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note 20u AT&T
Twitter
kixfan
Hello
I have an annoying issue with my AT&T Note 3. I can't seem to update any of the apps that came preloaded with my phone. Specifically I can't update any Google Play apps, Google+, Evernote, or Dropbox. I get the message that app cannot be installed in the default location. I have plenty of free space on my phone so have no idea why it wont let me update. Any ideas?
Thanks
Dennis

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
Hey Dennis, can you tell us what you've tried so far in regards to resolving this? I just don't want folks to suggest things you may have tried already. Couple things to start with: reboot your device, ten min battery pull. are you attempting to take the updates via data or WiFi? I assume you've tried both?
Hang in there, we'll do what we can to get you fixed up.

S5 tap'n

OP
kixfan

kixfan

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Twitter
kixfan
Thanks for the reply. I can now add another app that won't update to the list...SuperSU. I have tried reboot, delete cache of both the apps and play store. I have wiped and restored the phone with titanium backup pro. Also pulled the battery and deleted updates for the apps. Now I can't even update back to the versions I was at. Not sure if you need this info but I'm rooted with towelroot and running alliance rom. Oh and I have tried both wifi and data to update them.

Last edited:

k1ngr4t

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force
When you did the FDR did you try updating the apps immediately or after the TiBu restore? I speak from experience that some apps, especially system apps, get all screwey when you try to restore them, even if the versions should be the same.

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
I'd try to uninstall one app like G+ through titanium ..then reboot phone ...then try to download from play store ..SuperSu get latest zip from his thread and flash in recovery ...keep us posted ..

One+1

OP
kixfan

kixfan

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Twitter
kixfan
Tried the above. Google+ installed ok but wont run because it needs a play store update. Tried to update play store and got the same error that app cannot be installed in default location. Tried deleting and reinstalling play store and it wouldnt let me. Ended up having to restore it with Titanium.

OP
kixfan

kixfan

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Twitter
kixfan
When you did the FDR did you try updating the apps immediately or after the TiBu restore? I speak from experience that some apps, especially system apps, get all screwey when you try to restore them, even if the versions should be the same.
I tried it right after and have been trying since.

k1ngr4t

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force
Hm, interestng. And none of the above solutions have worked.....I can almost guarantee this has something to do with TiBu. As great as it is, if you're not careful it can totally mess up your phone, I speak from experience. I'd say try to unroot and then flash to a downloaded JB ROM that includes root, there's a good one out there on XDA somewhere.

If that doesn't solve it, then it's gotta be an internal/hardware problem, even though that really wouldn't make sense...

OP
kixfan

kixfan

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Twitter
kixfan
I think I figured out the problem. I use an app to make my phone move apps to my external SD card by default. I think it somehow moved parts of my system apps too so when the Play Store tried to update them it couldnt find what it needed on the device so said it can't update to the default location since the app isnt there. Long sentence...hope it made sense. I went into an app I have called Link2SD and deleted the apps that wouldnt update and reinstalled them. That seemed to work for Dropbox and Evernote. As for the Google Play Services itself I learned a lesson in that you should NEVER uninstall that. Phone just became very unresponsive and slow to the point of being unusable. I ended up having to restore Play Services from TiBu and reflashed my ROM. Everything seems to be working now. Better than before. I'm thinking maybe something went wrong last time I restored and this time the rom flashed right and fixed it. Sorry if this post is a confusing mess. Thanks for all your help!

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
Services is one of the most important, if not the most important software from Google. It single handedly eliminates fragmentation across devices for Google.

OP
kixfan

kixfan

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Twitter
kixfan
All I know is my phone was not happy without it! Nothing worked including the simplest things. Lesson definitely learned!

k1ngr4t

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force
Makes perfect sense to me! Glad you fixed it. I also learned the hard way you gotta be careful with those restores and system apps...nothing good will ever come of it!