Planning to get the Droid Razr Maxx

paczjj15

Reaction score
I went to the store today looking at phones. There were 3 that I was looking at primarily (Droid Razr Maxx, Droid 4, Galaxy Nexus). After having a chance to try each of them, the Droid Razr Maxx just stood out way above the others. I'm planning to get it soon, but I have some questions first.

(I apologize if these have been asked and answered many times before, but if they have, please point me in the right place if it's been discussed at length.)

- Is it worth the extra money between the Razr and Razr Maxx? The only additional thing is the battery, is the extra battery life worth another $50 to $100 (depending on where I buy it)?

- With a non-removable battery included, have there been problems restarting the phone if it freezes? Does it comes with a reliable way to restart the phone in these circumstances?

- How sturdy is the phone? How scratch-resistant is the screen and sides? Have there been any problems with phones breaking from incidents that most phones could survive?

- How is the camera? Are there any problems trying to take pictures with it in a normal, non-store environment?

- How is the sound quality for listening to music?

- Did you notice anything after purchase that wouldn't be noticed when looking at the phone in the store?

- Are there any features not included that you wish would have been?

- Would you recommend that a screen protector & case should be used with the phone? (Note: I don't care too much about thickening the phone up.)

- Are there any good deals available now to get the phone at a reduced price?

I'm sorry for all of the questions, but I'm trying to cover as much as I can. Any answers for any (or all) of these questions would help me out. Thank you.

SEColwell

Reaction score
I bought the razr and returned it for the maxx yesterday and it will be here in Tuesday because they were sold out in the store. The 2 reasons I did this 1 because Verizon is running a buy on get one on the maxx and 2 wanted the bigger battery just because my friends have iphone and my battery and their battery was basically the same and well I want to be able to say lol droid is better!

Camera was really awesome and with the update had a little tone so you would know it was in focus ......very cool feature

Listening to music sounded just like my ipod if not better........

Cases .....I work construction so mused the otter box by day naked by night and weekends ......no problems at all carried in my shirt pocket or front right pants pocket

When ICS comes to the maxx it will be light years above the rest....

The only issue I have is screen shots and ICS will have that and there are ways to make it work until then

No doubt the maxx is the way to go!!!!

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

OP
P

paczjj15

Reaction score
Thanks for the input. Quick note: The buy one get one deal isn't important to me because I can't get it. I have no one who's looking to upgrade on a second phone line.

timwood

Reaction score
Amazon Wireless, Wirefly.com and Radioshack all had the Razr Maxx on sale for $229 (upgrade) or $199 (new), but when I just checked the price is back up to $299 again on Wirefly and Radioshack. On Amazon wireless I cannot even add it to my cart or see the price. It's been backordered on all three sites as well. I ordered mine from Amazon wireless almost two weeks ago and I'm expecting it this week.

kieldornddo

Reaction score
On the back of the MAXX, there is a pin hole reset button, like alot of electronics. I got my MAXX a couple days ago, and I will will you for a guy who goes though a battery like a fat kid through a box of oreos, the battery is awesome!

cece5702

Reaction score
I bought the razr and returned it for the maxx yesterday and it will be here in Tuesday because they were sold out in the store. The 2 reasons I did this 1 because Verizon is running a buy on get one on the maxx and 2 wanted the bigger battery just because my friends have iphone and my battery and their battery was basically the same and well I want to be able to say lol droid is better!

Camera was really awesome and with the update had a little tone so you would know it was in focus ......very cool feature

Listening to music sounded just like my ipod if not better........

Cases .....I work construction so mused the otter box by day naked by night and weekends ......no problems at all carried in my shirt pocket or front right pants pocket

When ICS comes to the maxx it will be light years above the rest....

The only issue I have is screen shots and ICS will have that and there are ways to make it work until then

No doubt the maxx is the way to go!!!!

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

I've had the Maxx since Monday and I love it. With Smart Actions and Task Manager I got 20 hours out of my battery yesterday. I tried my best to drain the battery. Videos on you tube, new clips on cnn, fox, msnbc, downloading apps, texting and twitter. By 1:30 am this morning I was at 40%. I love it!!!!!!

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX

OP
P

paczjj15

Reaction score
I've had the Maxx since Monday and I love it. With Smart Actions and Task Manager I got 20 hours out of my battery yesterday. I tried my best to drain the battery. Videos on you tube, new clips on cnn, fox, msnbc, downloading apps, texting and twitter. By 1:30 am this morning I was at 40%. I love it!!!!!!

That's what I wanted to hear on the battery, that it's hard to drain. On my Incredible, I can easily drain it within a few hours of use.

I may have to go to Best Buy to get it. They are offering the $50 gift card there, might be my best bet. At this point, the only question is if I buy it now or wait until the price drops. I might want to buy it now, just because if I wait, the price will drop at the same time that the next great phone comes out.

This was going to be my big purchase with my tax refund this year, but I haven't got that in yet. I guess I could put it on the credit card and just pay it off when the refund comes in.

cece5702

Reaction score
That's what I wanted to hear on the battery, that it's hard to drain. On my Incredible, I can easily drain it within a few hours of use.

I may have to go to Best Buy to get it. They are offering the $50 gift card there, might be my best bet. At this point, the only question is if I buy it now or wait until the price drops. I might want to buy it now, just because if I wait, the price will drop at the same time that the next great phone comes out.

This was going to be my big purchase with my tax refund this year, but I haven't got that in yet. I guess I could put it on the credit card and just pay it off when the refund comes in.

Yeah I got a $50 loyalty discount on it. They ran out of this phone in every store here in the city. The closest was 90 miles away. I ordered it online. It's very popular! Fits nice in the hand. Picture color is real nice when viewing videos.sound volume is good during phone calls too. You won't want to put it down.

Reaction score
- Is it worth the extra money between the Razr and Razr Maxx? The only additional thing is the battery, is the extra battery life worth another $50 to $100 (depending on where I buy it)?
never owned the original razr so i couldn't tell you, but i'm loving the battery life on the maxx. on a normal work day from 8am-6pm i obviously won't be using all the battery, and will return home with about 75% left. this is with CDMA/LTE, in an area where i get about 6MBps on 4G, so that may give you an idea of how hard the phone needs to work for the signal (may not be that hard, i don't know lol). i will have a little over an hour of screen time usually. will have played an hour's worth of music for the commute. bluetooth and gps always on, the lowest or mid brightness setting on power control widget depending on where i am, 2 gmail accounts, facebook, weather widget synching on a regular basis. so hypothetically speaking, original razr may be around 50% battery then?

- With a non-removable battery included, have there been problems restarting the phone if it freezes? Does it comes with a reliable way to restart the phone in these circumstances?
volume up (or down?) + power button will cycle power regardless of the frozen state of the phone.

- How sturdy is the phone? How scratch-resistant is the screen and sides? Have there been any problems with phones breaking from incidents that most phones could survive?
i'd personally say it was pretty sturdy. have not tried to scratch the screen or any part of the phone for that matter. the front case is metal but the back frame of the phone surrounding the kevlar seems to be plastic. i hear a small creak at the moment depending on how i hold it, hopefully it won't get any worse.

- How is the camera? Are there any problems trying to take pictures with it in a normal, non-store environment?
i haven't tried taking too many pictures yet, but it looks to be sharp enough. take the picture in full-res then just shrink it by like 10 or 20% and i'm sure it'll look quite good.

- How is the sound quality for listening to music?
personally i think it sounds great, definitely loud enough for me. if listening in my room i'd keep it around 40-50% volume. i guess a little less volume than the OG droid though.

- Did you notice anything after purchase that wouldn't be noticed when looking at the phone in the store?
blotchy screen would be the only thing that comes to mind. many discussions over this. basically a black background/dark movie scene/dark picture in a dark room is where you would notice this. i have a couple of streaks and dots on my screen. however, they say it's a product of the S-AMOLED manufacturing process and inevitable. honestly in my case, it's not too terrible, and i realized i would hardly use it in a way where i would see them enough to bother me. that's not to say that i think this manufacturing should be called normal, but oh well...

- Are there any features not included that you wish would have been?
not really. 720p screen possibly, but my eyes aren't good enough to tell the difference from a foot away.

- Would you recommend that a screen protector & case should be used with the phone? (Note: I don't care too much about thickening the phone up.)
probably a good investment to have both. i think a case would also help with the slipperiness. i'm still looking around for one.

- Are there any good deals available now to get the phone at a reduced price?
others already mentioned them i think.

bottom line, i think the battery life is pretty awesome and i can be generous in my usage because i know it'll last until i get home. you may not need the power during the weekdays, but it's great knowing you have it when something unexpected comes up to prevent you from access to a charger. and of course the extra power is always useful during heavy browsing in the weekends.

hope this helps!

KeepInitReel

Reaction score
Did the bogo deal on the razr maxx today but only walked out the store with one phone, it was the only one left in stock and all other locations were sold out :( I activated the one maxx on my daughters line & I have to wait 5 days to see mines.
Total bill was $262.49 ($50 NE2) for two razr maxx!!!!

Still rocking the OG Droid using Tapatalk!!!

Trev1024

Reaction score
On the back of the MAXX, there is a pin hole reset button, like alot of electronics. I got my MAXX a couple days ago, and I will will you for a guy who goes though a battery like a fat kid through a box of oreos, the battery is awesome!

Fyi there is no reset button on the Maxx that hole in the back is a second microphone, so I wouldn't suggest putting a pin in it. If your Razr or Maxx locks up all u have to do is push and hold the volume down button for 5-10 seconds and it will reset.

Sent from my Xoom using DroidForums

Nelsonc

Reaction score
I dont have a razr maxx yet but I'm planning to get one very soon. But I read a review on it where the reviewer wanted to test the strength of the screen. So he took it to his kitchen and went at the screen with a fork and knife. He said that he was not able to scratch it at all.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

DXGivens

Reaction score
Did the bogo deal on the razr maxx today but only walked out the store with one phone, it was the only one left in stock and all other locations were sold out :( I activated the one maxx on my daughters line & I have to wait 5 days to see mines.
Total bill was $262.49 ($50 NE2) for two razr maxx!!!!

Still rocking the OG Droid using Tapatalk!!!

How did you get out the door at that price. Mine was 350.73?????

thaDroidz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Fyi there is no reset button on the Maxx that hole in the back is a second microphone, so I wouldn't suggest putting a pin in it. If your Razr or Maxx locks up all u have to do is push and hold the volume down button for 5-10 seconds and it will reset.

Sent from my Xoom using DroidForums

Glad i read your post. Read previous post, flipped phone over and was like cool... GLAD I DIDNT TEST IT!

----posted maxx'ed out----