Pixel 2 Camera Exhibits Strange Banding Under LED Lights

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
ap_resize-png.78051

In most conditions whether it be low light or bright natural light the Pixel 2 takes incredible photos with natural yet vibrant colors, industry leading dynamic range, and unmatched clarity. That being said the camera is exhibiting some strange behavior under LED lighting. Some users are experiencing odd banding if an LED light is in the shot. This could be quite annoying if an LED light just happened to be behind your subject as the shot is ruined entirely with the banding.

The banding effect is similar to what you might see when trying to take a photo of a TV. Apparently LED lights flicker at the frequency of alternating current. The flickering can not be seen by the human eye but can be seen by some cameras. This is not an issue with the OG Pixel, but apparently is on both the Pixel 2 and Pixel 2 XL. So far there is no word on a fix although Google has responded to complaints by saying this issue will be sent up the chain of command. Hopefully this will be fixable with an update otherwise try to stay away from LED lighting when taking shots with your new Pixel 2.

via AndroidPolice

Attachments

• ap_resize.png
    ap_resize.png
    135.1 KB · Views: 1,845

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Eh this is one of those issues I wouldn't classify as an issue. I have a video of a sign that flashes in the camera but solid to the natural eye. To me it's obvious the camera is picking up the flickering that our natural eye isn't.

Maybe Google can recommend a setting so that it doesn't pick up stuff like that. In other words take a photo the natural eyes see.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
If its a LED light connected to AC power it'll flash under a slow motion camera. Too fast for us to pick up but its there. The camera is picking that up.

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
Eh this is one of those issues I wouldn't classify as an issue. I have a video of a sign that flashes in the camera but solid to the natural eye. To me it's obvious the camera is picking up the flickering that our natural eye isn't.

Maybe Google can recommend a setting so that it doesn't pick up stuff like that. In other words take a photo the natural eyes see.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
It is an issue because it ruins the picture taken and other cameras don't exhibit this bug. Google needs to get their act together and stop manufacturing 2nd grade phones while charging premium price.

Why are you guys accepting these defects?