Pile of apps running at startup

2001400ex

Reaction score
So, when I reboot my phone, I have a pile of apps running. Stuff that shouldn't be, such as acar, shop savvy, market, uploads, voice dialer, etc.

I have to go into task killer to close them. Then they do not show up again. Then I reboot and they are all back running in the background. (Please no discussion on the validity of a task killer program.)

And yes I know memory is ran different than windows, but I still don't like a bunch of stuff running as I have found a couple that like to chew up battery (please no argument on this either )

Can anyone explain how to fix?

Thanks!

woooahthere

Reaction score
should be some type of check box in the apps in question's settings menu.
most have option to start automatically at boot or not.

hope this helps
:)

OP

2001400ex

Reaction score
yeah, none if those apps have that option.

Thanks for the reply.

woooahthere

Reaction score
hehe is he kidding up there? (Vitticeps)
you addressed both things he said not to dispute or meander off on.
he just wanted a simple solution to his question the way he presented it
:p

and that is strange...i have nothing further for you.
i shall leave that up to more experienced forum go-ers

OP

2001400ex

Reaction score
No need to close them. The Android OS manages applications and memory differently than windows based OS's do. They will not impact performance.

There's a sticky post about this in the General Discussion forum:
PLEASE READ: Do NOT worry about Apps running in the Background

Yup, have read that and 20 others like it. Why don't you open up imap just before bed and just go back to the home screen. See how long your battery lasts, especially when you use the phone as an alarm clock.

But as I said, I do not want that argument here, I would like to know how to not have 50 apps in the background after fresh reboot.

OP

2001400ex

Reaction score
hehe is he kidding up there? (Vitticeps)
you addressed both things he said not to dispute or meander off on.
he just wanted a simple solution to his question the way he presented it
:p

and that is strange...i have nothing further for you.
i shall leave that up to more experienced forum go-ers

:) yeah, gotta take the bad with the good. LOL hopefully someone else can solve the problem.

woooahthere

Reaction score
well, i just looked up some stuff around other forums and sites.....if u wanna pay (which i wouldn't do, just sayin :p)
look up in the market:
Startup Auditor is a boot monitor tool which displays a list of applications that react to OS boot completion. Enable/Disable apps& keep disabled. No root.

personally, ive never really had your problem or anything so i havent used this app and can't guarantee anything about it.
some of the reviews did seem kinda 50/50, kinda leaning towards the negative side
but really, like i said, i have no idea.
maybe this will atleast give you something to push you in the right direction
:)

DigiK

Reaction score
Startup auditor finds some things but not others. The app asks to send a detailed list of startup apps to dev on installation, but I'm not sure how active the dev is at keeping it updated at this point. There hasn't been an update addressing startup app detection robustness or any kind of update in a while. Probably worth 99 cents though if you want to give it a shot.

jimnutt

Reaction score
I have to say that I had issues with ShopSavvy being very impolite and chewing up resources in the background. I ended up uninstalling it for that reason.

OP

2001400ex

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses! I might try that program, tho I am a believer in free programs, for 99 cents it might be worth it.

bigthinker

Reaction score
There seems to be no question that when more apps are running in the background the less performance the battery gives you.....I run my advanced task manager many times per day and performance is there. I know you are trying to avoid this....Keep us posted on what you find with some of these suggestions please.

PJ_ED

Reaction score
I am having the same problem and looking for a FIX, not an "ignore it because it really isnt a problem" response:)

dmo580

Reaction score
Some apps like Tweetcaster start for no reason. There's no auto boot option. I don't auto refresh. I don't even USE IT as my twitter app now that I prefer Twidroid and most recently Touiteur. I don't get WHY it starts up. A lot of random crap starts up for that matter.

Google Voice and Voice Dialer are the most annoying. Why? They eat RAM like mad, and while I know Android manages RAM just fine, why the hell are they running to begin with when I have no GVoice enabled? Ugh.

It's like saying even though I have a quad core i7 with 12gb of RAM and a blazing SSD hard drive, starting up with a MS Word, AIM, and Outlook won't affect my system because my system can handle it... but WHY are they starting up automatically to begin with if I'm not wanting them to ... or even choosing for them to start up...

ZanshinG1

Reaction score
Basically, Android is suffering from dev ignorance with all the unnecessary services running. (I'm an Android developer)

The biggest culprit is widgets, where a lot of devs are copy-pasting the example code, which doesn't check to see if any widgets are in fact running. The service which handles the updates to the widgets should check, and if there are no widgets active, terminate itself, freeing memory and cpu.

Second, the biggest error a lot of devs are making is not recognizing the sleep state of the phone, when the screen is off. They're running loops in their services which keep them active and in memory, burning precious battery, even when the service isn't doing anything necessary.

I'm hoping as more and more devs are attending Google's dev seminars and Google I/O, good programming practices on the platform become more common.

Even though I've been coding for years, Android is different enough to really have thrown me at first. I made just about every mistake imaginable, and will likely make more.

For the user, what this means is that you probably don't want to install everything you see in the market. Keep only what you use every day. If an app seems to affect your battery or performance, contact the dev and file a bug report.

I also wish to reiterate that most of the task managers are horribly written, and in the hands of anyone other than someone who knows what every single service is and does on their phone, can cause lots of problems.

The proliferation of task managers in the market comes from people who having been on other platforms which needed them, assumed the same is true for Android. It's not. It's linux-based. It has amazingly good memory management.

Remember, it's better to keep your system lean and clean than to rely on a task manager.