HELP! Running apps killing phone and slowing in since update

TopDroid

Reaction score
PLEASE HELP

Im having a issue with running apps. When my phone boots up and I pull up advanced task killer (or go in to settings and pull up running apps) it has A LOT of my apps running. Then i will kill them and no more than 1 min later ALL of them will be right back up there running again. I know some should come back up but ALL of them? Right after I kill them all? Its causing my phone to run low on mem and to run slow?drain battery AND it has caused it to freeze and I have to pull the battery out and reboot.( ive had to reboot several times today already) Any suggestions? Thanks guys!!

This was after I updated this morning to 2.2.
Motorola Droid 1 Stock

lilaufroader2003

Reaction score
PLEASE HELP

Im having a issue with running apps. When my phone boots up and I pull up advanced task killer (or go in to settings and pull up running apps) it has A LOT of my apps running. Then i will kill them and no more than 1 min later ALL of them will be right back up there running again. I know some should come back up but ALL of them? Right after I kill them all? Its causing my phone to run low on mem and to run slow?drain battery AND it has caused it to freeze and I have to pull the battery out and reboot.( ive had to reboot several times today already) Any suggestions? Thanks guys!!

Motorola Droid 1 Stock

Exact Same thing happens to me....im getting tired of it. Dunno what to do either.

Tar Heel

Reaction score
I'm having the same problem. I'll kill the apps before I charge the phone, but I go back later and the phone is only partially charged because the apps are using more battery faster than what I'm able to charge. VERY FRUSTRATING!

Tallica

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Here is what you do, drop the task killers...THEY are slowing your phone down. The Android OS does a great job managing memory and killing off apps.

The use of task killers to speed the phone up has to be the single biggest myth in all of Android! :)

AtrusNex

Reaction score
Yeah there really should be a sticky thread at the top of these forums telling people to not use Automatic Task Killers. The phone salesmen at my local Best Buy know me as the Android guy because I got there phones running faster with much better battery life by mostly just uninstalling ATK and showing them how to watch for unruly apps.

Last edited:

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
PLEASE HELP

Motorola Droid 1 Stock

hehe, I remember you:)

There is a widget for the Power Control Bar. It lets you easily toggle off wifi and gps when you don't need it. It also lets you dim your screen setting too. Those steps will help prolong battery life.

OP
TopDroid

TopDroid

Reaction score
PLEASE HELP

Motorola Droid 1 Stock

hehe, I remember you:)

There is a widget for the Power Control Bar. It lets you easily toggle off wifi and gps when you don't need it. It also lets you dim your screen setting too. Those steps will help prolong battery life.

Hey Christim! Yeah, i know you remeber me!!lol!! Thankfully, i posted this like 2 weeks ago and now have a new droid running stock 2.1! (as you know. lol) Still havent rooted yet though. Im just making sure I double check everything and find a good rom to root with that has all the bells and whistles with it! :D

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
You shouldn't have to toggle off gps and wifi. Gps is used by apps as needed. Wifi uses less power than 3g. On droid 1 I leave these settings ON.

On droid X there's a bug and the solution seems to be:
Phone settings > location & security > use wireless networks > UNCHECK

If that doesn't seem to work for you:
-turn off GPS when done using
-turn off WIFI when done using
-reboot after charging
...all of this stuff shouldn't be necessary so hopefully the update will fix it.

Last edited:

lovethesinner

Reaction score
My battery is dying very quick, last night the bat was 60%, by morning it was 5% and it wasn't being used. I pulled the battery yesterday which seemed to help FroYo run faster, although there's still lag getting to the home screen but I think that's just 2.2. Anyway, so I pulled the battery, got rid of my task killers. What more can I do? I look to see what apps are running and how long they've been running for, and some say up to and over an hour. If 2.2 is supposed to be killing these apps, why isn't it? I'm constantly attached to the wall. I see a lot of people are having the exact same issue but I don't see many solutions. Does anyone have the one that works?

lovethesinner

Reaction score
Oh and I let the batt die all the way, then charged to 100%. This might have helped some, but not much.

Tallica

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
after it' been unplugged and running for a while, what does menu>settings>about phone>battery use say is using the Batt?

lovethesinner

Reaction score
Ill have to let you know as I'm currently plugged in, lol. I just looked at it and it said the browser was 48%, and my display brightness was 27%. Everything else is small stuff. Do you think they'll go up when unplugged?

lovethesinner

Reaction score
Okay, now it's saying that my display is using 82% of my battery. I've changed some of my settings but its still pulling quite a bit.