Pico projector HDMI with Xoom

Reaction score
I'm thinking about using my xoom for presentations, etc, and I need some advice on a handheld Optoma Pico Projector, need something bright enough to see in lighted rooms, and will last long, I think avg is 20,000 hrs on LEDs, maybe something that range.

Chimuel

Reaction score
Pico projectors simply will not cut it in lit rooms. Low lumens + bright room = dim or no image. For a normally lit room you'd need at least a 2,000 lumen projector. Pico projectors are really just novelty items for now.

EDIT:
Instead, I would go with a portable projector:
http://www.projectorcentral.com/portable-computer-projectors.htm

May not be in the same price range as a pico projector but these will perform better in bright rooms... and these days projectors are cheap(er) than they used to be.

The hours you won't really notice for a long long time (unless yours are on 24/7). I've got a couple of projectors that are on at least 12 hours a day and have racked up over 2500 hours each (most are rated for 2000 hours) and they're all still going strong (I do have new bulbs in hand just in case).

EDIT 2:
If you are adamant about getting a pico projector:
http://www.projectorcentral.com/projection-calculator-pro.cfm
Pretty self explanatory, input the make and model of your projector and it'll give you throw distances, brightness, screen size etc.

Last edited:
OP
U
Reaction score
Pico projectors simply will not cut it in lit rooms. Low lumens + bright room = dim or no image. For a normally lit room you'd need at least a 2,000 lumen projector. Pico projectors are really just novelty items for now.

EDIT:
Instead, I would go with a portable projector:
Top 10 Portable Projectors

May not be in the same price range as a pico projector but these will perform better in bright rooms... and these days projectors are cheap(er) than they used to be.

The hours you won't really notice for a long long time (unless yours are on 24/7). I've got a couple of projectors that are on at least 12 hours a day and have racked up over 2500 hours each (most are rated for 2000 hours) and they're all still going strong (I do have new bulbs in hand just in case).

EDIT 2:
If you are adamant about getting a pico projector:
Projection Calculator Pro - Projector to Screen Distance
Pretty self explanatory, input the make and model of your projector and it'll give you throw distances, brightness, screen size etc.

thx for the help, those projectors are kinda outta my price range, maybe I can split it with a coworker, :p

AcheTeeCeeHTC

Reaction score
AAXA P4 is the brightest pico projector

thx for the help, those projectors are kinda outta my price range, maybe I can split it with a coworker, :p

AAXA just released the P4 which is meant to be the world's brightest Pico Projector on the market. They have some pictures of an 80" image in a lit room and it looks good. It's 80 lumens which is nearly twice most of hte other pico projectors. Maybe you should look into this one.

AAXA P4 Pico Projector - DLP Hand-held Mini Projector - LED Pocket Projector