physical kb question

zero7404

Reaction score
my brother bought a droid about 2 or 3 months ago and i noticed his slide out kb is much better than mine (i bought mine in december). my kb is flat as the salt lake and his kb has raised keys (they bulge out compared to mine).

i gather motorola updated the design at some point. so what of those who have the phone with the flat kb ? are we stuck with this or can motorola warranty the device ?

Polymira

Reaction score
I had raised keys until I recently got a refurb. it was such a small difference that it doesn't really matter.

Sent from my Droid

Droidfish

Reaction score
Yea this is known issue although I bought mine in late November and I have raised keys. I'm sure it must be before/after build date thing but both have been around for a while.

I doubt they would warranty your phone for something like that since technically there is nothing wrong with your phone. Worth a shot though

Lars

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
I think it might just be luck of the draw. I got my droid just before Christmas and my keys are flat. A couple friends of mine got their droids right at launch in November and their keys bubble out like you described.

What about usage of the keyboard? I almost never use the keyboard, but both my friends said it's almost exclusively what they use.

dylanthecat

Reaction score
How can you claim a warranty issue because of a design change? I would like a 2011 Ford Super Duty cause it has a better engine than my 06. Can I claim a warranty issue and get one?

My keys are flat and I like them.

DocWalt

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3
I thought I had flat keys until I saw one with flat keys. Mine are bubbled slightly, and I love it.

OP
zero7404

zero7404

Reaction score
thats noy fair, revising the same product to make it better. while those who bought the initial product are stuck with it. as for flat vs. raised, the raised is much easier to type on.

and its not like the model # changed, its the same device with an improved kb.

so i say wtf motorola ?

dylanthecat

Reaction score
Not fair? Read the side of the box of the Droid you bought. "All features, functionality and other product specifications are subject to change without notice or obligation." Pretty standard stuff.

OP
zero7404

zero7404

Reaction score
Not fair? Read the side of the box of the Droid you bought. "All features, functionality and other product specifications are subject to change without notice or obligation." Pretty standard stuff.

yea ... to that end theyve covered thier arses, but when you buy a device you have a 2 year commitment to use, and the device is updated less than a year into launch, wouldnt u feel the same way ?

if i had my bro's fone, id use the kb all the time. mine makes it harder to type than the onscreen kb....

dylanthecat

Reaction score
I have not seen this other keyboard, and I am happy with mine, so I can't compare that. I do know that product improvements happen all the time in the life of a certain model, in any field. You find things after the first production run that you feel could be slightly improved or costs reduced, so you do it. If you find a major issue, then you decide to recall, selective replace, or replace on request.

JimmyD

Reaction score
yea ... to that end theyve covered thier arses, but when you buy a device you have a 2 year commitment to use, and the device is updated less than a year into launch, wouldnt u feel the same way ?

if i had my bro's fone, id use the kb all the time. mine makes it harder to type than the onscreen kb....

You don't have a 2 year commitment to use the device you bought. You have a 2 year commitment to use Verizon as your device's service provider. You can change your phone as many times as you want. You will only get hit with a penalty fee if you try to terminate your service with Verizon.

As a matter of fact, Verizon is encouraging people to change out their devices for newer models with their recent "early upgrades" campaign. If the keyboard issue bothers you that much, you are free to change to a Droid 2 or Droid X or other Verizon phone for that matter.

dylanthecat

Reaction score
JimmyD, you make a good point. If you don't like the Droid, you could always drop the data plan and re-activate your old phone (or buy a new cheapy). You could then sell the Droid to someone else. No penalty at all. I just recently found this out.

OP
zero7404

zero7404

Reaction score

You don't have a 2 year commitment to use the device you bought. You have a 2 year commitment to use Verizon as your device's service provider. You can change your phone as many times as you want. You will only get hit with a penalty fee if you try to terminate your service with Verizon.

As a matter of fact, Verizon is encouraging people to change out their devices for newer models with their recent "early upgrades" campaign. If the keyboard issue bothers you that much, you are free to change to a Droid 2 or Droid X or other Verizon phone for that matter.

and how soon would someone be able to do this upon entering a contract ? why should i spend money again because motorola didnt deliver a polished product in the first place ?
doing this just sends a signal out that ppl are ok with products put on market that arent quite finished yet. i dont think so