Observation About The Best Physical Keyboard

LordKastle

Reaction score
When viewing a few youtube's of some cell phones (both new and older) accessing apps and games, I have seen most of the physical qwertys people tend to like with the raised keys with overly "precious spacing"...and then it clicked.

There is a reason why Droid's is so sleek and stealth. 99% of physical keyboard look clunky and honestly...rather childish (like a toy). This is one reason why the welcoming of virtual keyboards rather than a physical was so welcoming to many in the past year or two.

Seriously, when you look at these devices it makes you shake your head. There is no sense of professionalism or any designed intelligence (beyond the convenience of pressing buttons that look like they belong on an infant's toy).

Thank you Motorola for the design of the keyboard you came up with.

EDIT: I am going to have to edit here because someone suggest "form should always follow function." Correct, and I agree. While some have possible legitimate gripes others seem too stuck on primitive designed phoned to attain the enlightenment. Again, I said SOME have legitimate gripes.

Last edited:

wuyanks

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
Ok. Well that's a unique viewpoint :icon_eek:

branabolic

Reaction score
I'm going to go ahead and take a page out of Porsche's book that says, " form should always follow function." Who cares what the keypad looks like as long as its fast and accurate. I would gladly take one of those "childish" qwerty's any day.

s-one

Reaction score
Well my issue with the physical keyboard is the Dpad. The dpad on the right side makes it ergonomically uncormfortable to type. In fact when in landscape mode the virtual keyboard fits perfect because the keyboard is the entire width of the droid. Follow me?

JonKyu

Silver Member
Reaction score
I'm going to go ahead and take a page out of Porsche's book that says, " form should always follow function." Who cares what the keypad looks like as long as its fast and accurate. I would gladly take one of those "childish" qwerty's any day.
Which took a page from my man Louis Sullivan ;) (sorry my architecture background lol). As for the keyboard, I do think it takes some getting used to. I don't feel it's as bad as some people have made it out to be. After 2 weeks it functions waaay better than the virtual keyboard (at least from my experience). Droid keyboard love!:heart:

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'll put in my .02 cents only because I was reformed in thought.

Originally I HATED the keyboard... HATED the idea of a even having the physical keyboard. I really liked what Android 2.0 offered and I had given up on my Storm.... so I bought a DROID.

After learning the device itself, I began to realize that I don't think I could give up the keyboard... I really like it. And not just having a physical keyboard... I like THIS one. I agree that the D-pad does create an off-balance sense with the keyboard in hand but I grew accustomed to it. I like the 'sleek' keys... def took some getting used to but it's become appealing to me.

To each their own however.... personal preference is EVERYTHING in your phone... after all it's YOUR phone. :)

Sleeve

Reaction score
I'm two to three times faster on a physical keyboard than on screen, even in landscape. I can acknowledge that people have a problem with the d-pad placement, but I'm glad we have one, that it's exactly where it is, and that it gives me no grief of any kind being there.

superglen99

Reaction score
I love the phyiscal keyboard and ue it 95% of the time. the d pad is nice when you need to go back and change a word or letter cause instead of trying to hit the exact spot you need to change with your finger you can use the d-pad to do that.

rothenbj

Reaction score
I love the phyiscal keyboard and ue it 95% of the time. the d pad is nice when you need to go back and change a word or letter cause instead of trying to hit the exact spot you need to change with your finger you can use the d-pad to do that.

I love the physical keyboard because when I'm laying on the sofa browsing, I can open it up and place my index finger between the two levels as I rest the keyboard in the bottom of my hand.

Other than that, the keys are just too small for my fingers and end I up constantly backspacxing to correwctgr spewlling. SEE And that was just three wolrds.

sstamilio

Reaction score
I like the keyboard, but the D pad sort of sucks an optical mouse pad like the Omnia has would make it much better. That would leave just enough room to make the keys a little bigger. Then it would be darn near perfect IMO.

OP
L

LordKastle

Reaction score
I wonder if there could ever be an application that turns the d-pad in to a mouse cursor control for pinpoint accuracy. Anyone know?

Dommzyd

Reaction score
The physical keyboard is actually one of the big reasons I chose the Motorola Droid over the Eris. I like it and have no problems with it.

mwinne

Reaction score
I like the keyboard, and I like the D-pad. The Droid would not have had nearly as much appeal for me with out them.