photos show in gallery, but cannot view/send them

rambling

Reaction score
This just started to happen on my droid2, it's a little under 2 months old.

When I take a photo, it takes, shows the little preview in the corner, and returns to camera as expected. However if I want to view the pic I just took, to share it or edit or tag or anything, it won't load the image. I get a dark screen but still see the little information button in one lower corner and slideshow play button in the other lower corner. I cannot tap on either button.
If I slide to the side, it skips back to the first photo in my gallery. I cannot slide back to the photo I just took.
BUT-this is the weird part - if I hit "back" and view my whole roll or gallery, it shows up as part of the collection of preview thumbnails. I can tap it to open it, but I get that black screen thing.

This does not seem to happen 100% of the time but I can't figure a common denominator for the times it does happen. Sometimes I can snap a photo and text it or tweet it or whatever right away.

The only remedy I have found is to shut the phone completely off and back on, which is of course quite annoying and takes a bit of time.

Thanks in advance for any help y'all can provide.