phones jack ....

gardobus

Silver Member
Reaction score
Ok, so I followed the directions posted earlier:

I tried it today and it worked great. I took a plastic straw cut a little larger than a 1/8" piece off the end. I then took that small piece and cut half of the ring off making a half moon piece of plastic (depending on the size of the straw you may need to trim off more than half). after you have the half moon piece of plastic insert it between plug and the back of the case. I left mine just barely stick out just in case I want to pull it out later. after I completed the fix I did over 3 hours of yard work listening to music with the droid in my pocket and not a single problem. I hope this helps someone else as it seems were all in the same boat.

Here is where I inserted the straw:

QrlNQ.jpg

I hope this helps, it seems to be working for me so far (tried it with 3 separate sets of headphones as well as the aux jack in my truck).

JFDroid

Reaction score
I've had my phone replaced 3x since November (Droid launch day) for headphone jack issues. In another month or two, it'll need replaced again. This is ridiculous.

OP
zero7404

zero7404

Reaction score
it actually works ... but not 100%. somewhat akward is wen i pull the plug out the straw tends to want to slip out. indicates that the jack isnt even secured to the board in the fone
ill keep it there as a temporary fix

OP
zero7404

zero7404

Reaction score
considering that i emailed motorola on friday about this and it's tuesday without response ... tells me they have no answer to my question ....

cplus

Reaction score
Thanks Acedroid for your help. After doing more research on this problem and reading more threads on this website it seems even if you do get a replacement that this situations just happens again down the road until motorola redesigns this connection which is not going to happen on this model. as for me I do have insurance but live an hour away from the verizon store. I have found a possible temporary fix for these problems that was discuss on another thread. I tried it today and it worked great. I took a plastic straw cut a little larger than a 1/8" piece off the end. I then took that small piece and cut half of the ring off making a half moon piece of plastic (depending on the size of the straw you may need to trim off more than half). after you have the half moon piece of plastic insert it between plug and the back of the case. I left mine just barely stick out just in case I want to pull it out later. after I completed the fix I did over 3 hours of yard work listening to music with the droid in my pocket and not a single problem. I hope this helps someone else as it seems were all in the same boat.

This worked for me PERFECTLY 100%. I could not be happier. Thank you SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much.dancedroid It took 3 mins to do. Awesome!

OP
zero7404

zero7404

Reaction score
response from motorola ....

below, motorola's response. i noticed how they marked the problem as solved, i'm disgusted that they haven't bothered to even acknowledge the existence of a problem:

Recently you requested personal assistance from our on-line support center. Below is a summary of your request and our response.

If this issue is not resolved to your satisfaction, you may reopen it within the next 7 days.

Thank you for allowing us to be of service to you.

Subject headphone jack problem Discussion Thread Response (Mardave Grace Gochuico)05/14/2010 11:31 AM Dear xxxxx,

Thanks for reaching out to Motorola. I’ve reviewed your e-mail and I’m ready to help.

We're so sorry to hear about.
let's isolate issues so that we can determine what's causing the static. Kindly plug a different wired headset to the unit and check if same thing happens. If the static disappears, we can process you a replacement wired headset.
If same thing is occurring, kindly turn off the phone and remove the battery. Initialize unit and check audio.
If removing battery did not help, perform a reset on the unit. Factory data reset is a tool to delete everything imported, added or installed in the phone memory. Nothing on your memory card however will be deleted. This includes your pictures, video and music. To perform reset: SETTINGS>PRIVACY>FACTORY DATA RESET>RESET PHONE>ERASE EVERYTHING.

If the reset does not work, you can check with your carrier for warranty or avail your warranty with us.

All Motorola products and accessories have a standard one year warranty from date of purchased barring from physical or liquid damage.
The warranty offered by Motorola is repair process. You will be sending your unit to our repair center. The repair time will be 5 - 7 business days the moment unit is received.

In warranty phones is free of repair charge. Out of warranty units has a $75 fee. If phone is found to be un-repaired, it will be returned un-returned without charges.

Kindly fill out the repair submission page with the required information. Kindly take note of the RMA number and address at the end of the page. The RMA number will be your phone identifier. This will check on the status of your phone repair as well.

Please follow these instructions to send your phone in for service:

- Add the RMA# on the out side of the package
- Include a note inside the box with a brief description of the problem you are having with the phone.
- Send the phone by itself, no accessories, covers, batteries, battery doors (unless tethered to the phone), SIM cards, memory card, etc.
- Do not send the box that the phone came in originally.
- Along with the phone, send a piece of paper that has your name and day time phone number along with the address where the phone should be sent back once it is repaired.
- Include a copy of the receipt or activation papers, unless the manufacturing date has already been verified to be under warranty
- Back up all data and software, including any personal information such as contact lists and software applications provided by a third party.
- We recommend using a traceable shipping method (Federal Express, UPS, DHL, etc.);
- Motorola is not responsible for any lost or damaged items during shipment to the service center.

Please be aware that upon the receipt of your cell phone, Motorola will send your phone back within 5 to 7 business days.

Please ship your phone to:

Motorola Repair Center
RMA# (information will be provided at end of page submission)
5700 South International Parkway
Suite A, Dock # 19
McAllen TX, 78503

Want to track the status of your repair? To track the status of your phone through the repair process please return to the Motorola Support site at www.motorola.com/repair and select “Track My Repair” on the right side of the page.

If you have any questions or comments, please feel free to contact us, by calling 800-331-6456. The customer service hours of operation are Monday through Friday from 7 am to 10 pm, Saturday and Sunday 9am-6pm CST.

We hope that you find this information useful and look forward to assisting you in the future.

For information about Motorola products and services, please visit us at Motorola Home - Motorola USA

Thank you for contacting Motorola e-mail support.

Best Regards,

DAVE Customer (xxxx)05/07/2010 07:52 PM I noticed i can submit a request to send my phone in for repair to motorola, with regard to my problem. the problem i have is the headphones jack causes static noise when the headphones plug is moved slightly while listening to music on the device.

before i proceed with submitting a repair request, i would like to know the details of this problem, whether it has been addressed by motorola for all newly manufactured droid devices, whether my device will be repaired or replaced (with new), and approximately how long i should expect to be without a phone ?

i would like to know the answers to these questions before i submit a repair request.

thanks Question Reference #100508-007508 Product Level 1: Cell Phones Product Level 2: Android Series Product Level 3: DROID Category Level 1: How To Use Category Level 2: Hardware Category Level 3: Audio/Sound Category Level 4: Sound Quality Date Created: 05/07/2010 07:52 PM Last Updated: 05/14/2010 11:31 AM Status: Solved Incident Opt-in:
Carrier: US - Verizon Network Operator:
IMEI Number:
ESN/ MEID #: A0000015B6B6AC Contact Phone Number:
Mobile Phone Number:
technician_id:
City of Blur Issue:
Alt. Street Address:
Alternate City:
Alt. State:
Alt. Postal Code:
Escalation Source:
Sales Order Number:
Incident Type: email Purchase Date:
Serial Number:
Manual Product:
Region Code
Alternate Name
Alt. Email
Further comments

cplus

Reaction score
soooo disappointed

below, motorola's response. i noticed how they marked the problem as solved, i'm disgusted that they haven't bothered to even acknowledge the existence of a problem:

I am very hurt that they wouldn't acknowledge the problem. Thanks for posting the reply beacause I was not curious enough to 'reach out' to them myself. With that, it seems we have a couple choices:

1. A fight.

2. A fix.

I took the latter. I LOVE THIS DEVICE 99.9999% NOW. The bad jack was my last beef with the phone. If it would helpl anyone, I will make more detailed step by step because this is a HUGE DEAL for anyone that uses their DROID as PMP.

Hmmmm... It's almost like 'unfinished furniture.' ;)

OP
zero7404

zero7404

Reaction score
what I hate is when devices are pushed out for sale that are not robust enough to be considered production, finished, etc.

the bluetooth doesn't work correctly, the phones jack is not seated properly on the main board, what else have you ....

i never really cared for motorola products, they aren't even as good as blackberry with regard to build quality, but i got it anyway because it was the most popular android phone on verizon's network.

not happy, neither pleased with the way motorola is handling this issue.

Dabroid

Reaction score
Thanks!!

Thanks for the straw fix. Not 100% but its about 97% fixed and that will do for me. I was looking at purchasing $$ stereo bluetooth head set.