Phone wont connect to Wifi?

Algae998

Reaction score
I have never had an issue with connecting to the wifi, other than it would auto-shut off after some time, but now I cant seem to connect at all. I have excellent signal strength and have entered my WEP key. It says Obtaining IP Address but then says disabled and doesnt connect. I cant connect with a laptop without issue so I dont know what the problem is.
Any ideas?

Caligula2008

Reaction score
I'm interested in this too as I have a refurbish droid 2 and have had the problems you mentioned from day 1. Can't connect to a secure wifi consistently. Every now and then I get on and it lasts until I'm dropped not too long after.

Maybe someone else has an experience with this that could help out... I'm currently pure data.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

Caligula2008

Reaction score
Just to be clear how many times have you tried to connect because I find every now and then I can connect but not the majority of the time it just does what you're saying...

OP
Algae998

Algae998

Reaction score
Well, originally when I first got my phone it would connect to my wifi without any issue, but after 10-15 minutes, it would auto-shutoff and go to 3G (which was annoying when using Pandora it would pause and skip every 10-15 mins). I made sure my wifi was set to never disconnect and not use the energy preferred mode. Then they released the new android update which seemed to fix it, once it was connected it would stay connected.I had to hard reset my phone yesterday and since then I have not been able to connect. Ill enter my WEP key, it goes through the whole process of obtaining an IP, then after a while it says disconnected. After this every 5-10 seconds or so it shows the wifi is scanning but never connects. I have my network as a remembered network and set to connect automatically. When I first turn wifi on and try to connect I can see the wifi signal symbol in the status bar but its dark grey and doesnt show the blue signal strength bars.So as it stands I cannot connect to the wifi at all. I have not messed with my router so its got to be on my phones end.Any ideas?

OP
Algae998

Algae998

Reaction score
Further update: Even though my phone doesnt show Im connected, I logged into my router and looked at the attached devices, it shows my phone is wirelessly connected. Even though my router shows it connected I dont think its using the wifi connection but still using 3G. Confusing.Maybe since I hard reset Im missing an update that I used to have?

jchammer123

Reaction score
I had the same problem awhile back. The way I fixed it was calling my internet provider and explaining my computer connected fine but my phone wouldn't. They configured something on their end and it has worked since.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

captain howdy

Reaction score
I had a similar problem. But my phone just kept trying to connect over and over causing my battery to die fast and my phone would become extremely hot. My lap top had no problem connecting but my phone would not. Even after shutting the phone off and restarting it. I could the problem was with my wifi router, a simple re-set of the router solved it. Its cause my the isp host changing the ip address of the router, lap tops etc have built in software to compensate for the chance. I guess the phone does not.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums

OP
Algae998

Algae998

Reaction score
I had a similar problem. But my phone just kept trying to connect over and over causing my battery to die fast and my phone would become extremely hot. My lap top had no problem connecting but my phone would not. Even after shutting the phone off and restarting it. I could the problem was with my wifi router, a simple re-set of the router solved it. Its cause my the isp host changing the ip address of the router, lap tops etc have built in software to compensate for the chance. I guess the phone does not.

Reset the router as in power off or wipe data via the reset button? Every now and then I have to kill the power on the router when it starts running slow, sort of to dump the memory..maybe that would work.

captain howdy

Reaction score
Yes I power off both my cable router and wireless router. I only have to do this once and a while. As I think the problem is the isp changes my ip address. as far as other networks such as subway, Starbucks etc I do not have this problem . Also they have a different isp.

Caligula2008

Reaction score
Well mine is a universities wifi and I have no control over settings although the wireless router is in my appt... I doubt that is the issue tho.

I keep my wifi off because it will "connect," disconnect, and then scan killing my battery. Also, every now and then I can get on and use it but the speed is soooo slow or unbearable. I have discovered this with all wifi networks even open ones.

What occurs is I connect fine @ like a Starbucks but speed is too slow or something which makes me think I'm not really connected despite the icon. I'm running Liberty ROM and didn't think there was an issue so I've been chalking it up to the refurbished phone and patiently waiting to use my upgrade.

I know everyone connects fine on their iPhone I'm going to play around with my gf's bionic and make sure she can connect (although her 4G is soo fast it is silly for her to use wifi which gets bogged down @ our college easily)

ChevyNexus

Reaction score
Same thing is happening to mu buddys D2. Marked for further info.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

OP
Algae998

Algae998

Reaction score
I tried killing the power to both my modem and wifi router, let it power back up and still have the same problem. I cannot connect to my router at all. I have not tried to connect to any other routers yet, Ill try that out as soon as Im close enough to one. My router works fine otherwise, I have my desktop connected via ethernet cable, and 2 other laptops connect with wifi no problem. I have not tried rebooting the router to wipe the settings yet, but Ill try that if worst comes to worst.
Frustrating because whenever the 3G drops out or I dont have a signal, I have no connection to the outside world..dun dun dunnnnnnnnnn. scary right? :blink:

OP
Algae998

Algae998

Reaction score
Just as an update, maybe this will help some others having the same issue. I came across another thread on the droidforums about not being able to connect to the wifi.
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/tech-issues-bug-reports-suggestions/51692-wifi-wont-connect-2.html

Some have said that changing the channel on the router could help. I downloaded wifi analyzer and it looks like theres a couple other routers using the same channel mine is set. On my router the channel section is set to auto, but since Im in an apartment complex and everyone has a router, Ill try changing it and report back.

OP
Algae998

Algae998

Reaction score
Interesting...I started uninstalling a handful of apps because my phone has been chewing through my battery and always warm, and now my wifi works. Something much have been causing it not to connect.

Reaction score
I had this issue: my android 2 would recognize my Linksys wireless router at home, but would not connect to the internet. I of course had no problems anywhere else. The phone would grab the wireless signal for a couple of seconds, but would just keep going back to 3G and never connect. I simply changed the security setting from WEP to WPA and it connected immediately. Apparently the phones dont like the WEP setting. This was of course the last thing I tried, so I turned a 2 second task in to an hour long debacle.