Phone wet... What to do?

reinhurdler

Reaction score
I was at a track meet today and my phone was in my bag. It was off, but got pretty wet. It may have been wet for about 2 hours. I tried to turn it on, but it wouldn't work. I pulled out the battery and the water indicator was all red. I dried it off a little for about 15 minutes and tried to turn it back on. It worked and then shut down. About 45 minutes after that, I took it apart and put it in rice. Left it in the rice for an hour and could not resist turning it on. It turned on like regular, but the I couldn't unlock the touch screen, so I pulled the battery and put both back in the rice.

I just found out that turning it on before it drys can "fry" it. Everything looked the same except there was a little dicoloration on the screen and it would not respond to touches.

Do I have any chance at all or is my phone toast? I have insurance for it.

chrisl20

Reaction score
one of three things, 1.put it in a cup of rice, completely covered for one day, battery out and in rice as well, put it in a car so the heat also helps dissipate the water...make sure you have supergloop or whatever the electronic stores around you carry that get stuff like sand and debris out of phones...2.Call asurion and tell them it was stolen...they send you a new one...you keep that one in case it decides to work when it has dried out over an extended amount of time...3....I guess thats it...sorry, good luck man

Brennan_Huber

Theme Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Hahahah wow this exact same thing happened to me today like no kidding. But im leaving mine in rice for a day and then if it doesn't work ill use a hair dryer.

FreeMyMoto!!!
FreeMyMoto!!!
FreeMyMoto!!!

silver6054

Reaction score
one of three things, 1.put it in a cup of rice, completely covered for one day, battery out and in rice as well, put it in a car so the heat also helps dissipate the water...make sure you have supergloop or whatever the electronic stores around you carry that get stuff like sand and debris out of phones...2.Call asurion and tell them it was stolen...they send you a new one...you keep that one in case it decides to work when it has dried out over an extended amount of time...3....I guess thats it...sorry, good luck man

2) is of course insurance fraud and attracts criminal penalties. They will anyway blacklist the ESN of the "stolen" phone, so it couldn't be used again (Except on Wifi). So, do this at your own risk!

dmesiti

Reaction score
Take all stuff out (bat,sim), Let it dry on your heater for a week and then try again... worked for all my stuff that got soaked... really...

Sent from my MZ604 using DroidForums

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
They will anyway blacklist the ESN of the "stolen" phone, so it couldn't be used again (Except on Wifi).
blacklisted on one carrier can be activated on another carrier.

Sent from Tapatalk on Thunderbolt

chrisl20

Reaction score
And I wasnt implying to sell the phone if it works..I just like a backup device to test new stuff on first...but, yah..

tebower

Reaction score
If you're going to make an Asurion claim anyway, why not just tell them it got wet? Why lie about it? You allowed it to get wet by being careless, so you shouldn't make another company eat the cost of your mistake. Reasons like this are why Verizon has recently tightened up their replacement policy...wanton fraud and theft from customers.

I say all that knowing that you have not necessarily done any of this yet, in hopes that you will be honest. Best of luck.

Quicksilver7714

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Discussion on insurance fraud is not tolerated in the forum.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

ryan221

Reaction score
put your phone in a bag of rice for 24 hours that will suck all the moisture out of it it works I've done it!

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

chrisl20

Reaction score
Ok ok ok...time out....insurance fraud is COMPLETELY a technical foul in these here forums...BUUUT...data fraud I.e. wireless tethering via rooting isn't.....care to elaborate on which moral values can be bent on here and which ones can't?...because to me..that is beyond a double standard...

nerdslogic

Silver Member
Reaction score
I was at a track meet today and my phone was in my bag. It was off, but got pretty wet. It may have been wet for about 2 hours. I tried to turn it on, but it wouldn't work. I pulled out the battery and the water indicator was all red. I dried it off a little for about 15 minutes and tried to turn it back on. It worked and then shut down. About 45 minutes after that, I took it apart and put it in rice. Left it in the rice for an hour and could not resist turning it on. It turned on like regular, but the I couldn't unlock the touch screen, so I pulled the battery and put both back in the rice.

I just found out that turning it on before it drys can "fry" it. Everything looked the same except there was a little dicoloration on the screen and it would not respond to touches.

Do I have any chance at all or is my phone toast? I have insurance for it.

You MIGHT be able to save it.

this is all true....you can also try denatured alcohol to clean all the contacts on the board. There is a calcium build up from the water that you need to get off the contacts....that is where most the damage comes from when devices are exposed to water....and as for the rice, the reason you use it is because rice is EXCELLENT at absorbing moisture that other mediums could miss.

Hahahah wow this exact same thing happened to me today like no kidding. But im leaving mine in rice for a day and then if it doesn't work ill use a hair dryer.

FreeMyMoto!!!
FreeMyMoto!!!
FreeMyMoto!!!

Follow above recommendations....but the hair dryer may cause more damage than good.

You messed up by turning it on. Go get a new one. Also do not use a hair dryer. Anytime you get you're phone wet pull the battery and DO NOT touch it for at least 24 hours or longer depending on how wet it was. Do not leave it in heat. **** happens.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums

He makes a good point that by turning it on you may have dealt it a fatal blow. I agree with pulling battery and not reinserting for at LEAST a day. The rice will soak up any remaining moisture and the denatured alcohol I mentioned will remove the calcium as stated. Then reinsert and see what happens.

If you're going to make an Asurion claim anyway, why not just tell them it got wet? Why lie about it? You allowed it to get wet by being careless, so you shouldn't make another company eat the cost of your mistake. Reasons like this are why Verizon has recently tightened up their replacement policy...wanton fraud and theft from customers.

I say all that knowing that you have not necessarily done any of this yet, in hopes that you will be honest. Best of luck.

This is another good point. No reason to lie if you are going to use an insurance claim and pay the deductible anyway. Might as well tell them the truth.

Discussion on insurance fraud is not tolerated in the forum.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

A very good point here....discussions like this will get this forum shutdown which would be a loss to everyone.

and on that note I have to admit I think this is the longest multi-quote I have ever done.

Ok ok ok...time out....insurance fraud is COMPLETELY a technical foul in these here forums...BUUUT...data fraud I.e. wireless tethering via rooting isn't.....care to elaborate on which moral values can be bent on here and which ones can't?...because to me..that is beyond a double standard...

see above post.

nerdslogic

Silver Member
Reaction score
thanks....yeah I pointed that out too actually in quoting you....most likely dealt a fatal blow by turning it on.

chrisl20

Reaction score
Hmm...kinda seems like stealing to me then...what's the difference in 15$ per month for a year and telling asurion it was jacked... ..sad, sad, sad,...just because your shirts are made of misguided moral fibers, doesn't mean the ethical implications r different between the two..stealing, is stealing...

xan

Reaction score
What fraud, doesn't asurion still cover water damage....?