Phone Shutting Off while Idle?

amalthea

Reaction score
I got the Droid 2 a week or so after Thanksgiving (after having the original Droid since it came out). Every few days or so while the phone is idle (screen is blank) and I try to wake it up and unlock it to use it I can't. It acts as if it's been shut down and I have to hold the power button and/or remove the battery in a random magic dance to get it to come back on. I took it to the Verizon store today and the tech told me I needed to kill all my running apps. Now I read on these forums that that is not a good idea and the Android OS actually runs better with full or nearly full memory. So clearly I got bad information. Does anyone here have better advice?

harrellj

Reaction score
One thing, do you have a spare battery to try out? Or maybe go back to the store and have them check out the battery? If that doesn't fix the issue (hard to test though), I'd say call VZW rather than go back to the store. For one thing, your issue sounds hardware related, not software.

As for the task killer, no you do not need it and it wouldn't impact your problem at all.