Outrageous Network Traffic while idle

NeoLogic

Reaction score
I'm using Netcounter and OSMonitor to get total numbers of network traffic. So the counter resets at midnight. By the time I wake up and go to work at 7am, my phone, while idle has encountered almost 60mb of downloaded data. I don't understand why this is, which app is responsible, and it does happen every day. By lunch my battery is toast, and couple hundred Megs later. I'm not streaming anything like Pandora. Nothing abnormal is running in the background.. Some apps I do have are Weatherbug, Handcent, and K9. But I've been running those for months with no problems. Someone please help! Is there an application to determine each app's network traffic. I've searched everywhere for one. No luck.

Thanks!

JCo352

Reaction score
Wish I could help you, but I have no idea. Bump Bump Bump it up.

OP
N

NeoLogic

Reaction score
Bump..
I still need help with this :(

Searched everywhere, I seem to be the only one with this problem lol

nphil

Reaction score
turn off background sync and see if it helps. Or dial *#*#INFO#*#* and turn off data until you figure out what the rogue app is. Do a complete factory reset and install only apps you absolutely need since afaik there is no app to determine network traffic filtered by apps..

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Charge the phone fully and take it off charge right before you go to bed. Check for data usage in the morning first thing. If it is again high, immediately go to Menu/Settings/About Phone/Battery Usage. The culprit will hopefully be listed as a significant battery user.

gardobus

Silver Member
Reaction score
I was looking at my data usage the other day and I also noticed some random high usage in the middle of the night. I have Lookout Mobile Security installed which uploads my pictures every night but I don't take THAT many...

wernst

Reaction score
Are you rooted and running an alternative ROM?

Some of the 2.1-based roms are repeatedly downloading the verizon-based 2.1 firmware. Mine was downloading the 15 MB file like 30 times a day.

The Hacks subforum has the procedure to stop this from happening.

If you aren't rooted, then I have no idea...

-Warr

OP
N

NeoLogic

Reaction score
Are you rooted and running an alternative ROM?

Some of the 2.1-based roms are repeatedly downloading the verizon-based 2.1 firmware. Mine was downloading the 15 MB file like 30 times a day.

The Hacks subforum has the procedure to stop this from happening.

If you aren't rooted, then I have no idea...

-Warr

Ahhh, this just might be it. I'm running 7.8 Ultimate Droid, and although I didn't notice the traffic until recently, I'm betting this is the problem. How would I verify that it's trying to download the "new" firmware? Is there a log file? In the meantime, I'll check out the procedure to stop this from happening.

Thank you everyone for your help!