Phone Resetting - Custom Launchers?

link899

Reaction score
So about a week ago I upgraded to a Droid Razr HD. Before this phone I had a Droid X. On that Droid X I used Launcher Pro for the entire time I had that phone and never had any problems. However at this point Launcher Pro is dated. So when I got my Droid Razr HD, I downloaded a few other launchers to try out. The second night I had the phone I downloaded and set up Nova launcher. Less than an hour after downloading and setting up the launcher, the phone kept rebooting. The only thing I could get it to stop was to turn it off. Even in safe mode it would keep rebooting endlesly. I took the phone back and got a replacement thinking some factory defect had happened. With the second phone I did not try any custom launchers for several days. However earlier today I got bored of the Motorola launcher and decided to try out Apex Launcher. Again within an hour the phone started rebooting and would not stop. I had to get another replacement from Verizon. So that is three different phones now. I am not going to try any custom launchers and see if the phone runs fine with no rebooting. Has anyone else ran into anything similar at all? Does anyone out there use custom launchers on this phone with success? I really don't like the stock launcher. It is incredibly limited for what they should be able to do.

S3NTYN3L

Reaction score
Strange.
I'm rockin' Apex Launcher on my Razr HD without issue since I got it last weekend.

Perhaps it's something to do with another app you're installing prior to Apex or Nova?

FWIW, I also came from the DX and LP(paid version) and I must say Apex does everything LP did and more. AND, it's free, lol...:p

OP
L

link899

Reaction score
I was trying to figure out which app it could possibly be but I can't tell. I am not completely sure it is the custom launchers, correlation does not equal a result. Just with the timing of each phone crapping out it made me feel like it was the launchers. I feel like the chances of me getting two defective Razr HDs are tiny. And they way they both went out within an hour of setting up the different launchers is crazy to me. I hate that I am afraid to use the custom launchers because I love them so much more than Motorolas stock launcher. Well if you have gone a week with a custom one, different launchers obviously can be used on the phone. I just have to figure out why I have not been able to use them...

S3NTYN3L

Reaction score
All i can suggest is this:

Factory reset.
Take system update via Settings> About Phone.
Install ONLY Apex Launcher.

See if you make it longer than a day before installing anything else.

Good luck to you.

ambrown

Reaction score
I've used Go Launcher EX on three devices now and haven't run into any trouble. In fact on one phone the stock launcher would crash often enough that I actually changed over to Go Launcher to end the bugginess I kept experiencing with the stock launcher.

Granted your problem could be that the launchers you've used don't yet work well with the Razr HD, and you may want to reach out to the developer about your problem. As far as I know custom launchers shouldn't cause you that much grief but there are a lot of variables that it's hard to say it's just one thing causing the restarts.

Anyway, I hope you find something that works! I would obviously recommend Go Launcher, but I'm sure you should be able to get other launchers to work as well.

steelman52

Reaction score
I've used Go Launcher EX on Droid X, Droid X2, Bionic, RAZR, RAZR Maxx, and now on RAZR Maxx HD without any problems whatsoever. It's a great launcher, very customisable, and does what I need a launcher to do. I've never had the issues you're describing.

OP
L

link899

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback guys. The point about resetting and installing only Apex is a good idea. I can't figure out what else is causing the phone to freak out when I use a launcher but it must be something other than the launchers themselves. I'm glad to know this isn't a common issue with all launchers on this phone. I'll have to try pin pointing it when I am feeling up to it.

lilhill

Reaction score
I've had the MAXX HD since the day it came out. I've used both Apex and Nova launchers and haven't had any problems like you've described.

The only issue I've had (with both launchers) is that they periodically crash and redraw. It's not a big deal but can be inconvenient. I had the same issue with both of the launchers on my Bionic, which was running a Moto ICS leak.