Phone randomly playing "commercial" through speakers???

AlexSB

Reaction score
My phone just randomly started playing a "commercial"? for some McAfee Deep something product, talking about phone secrutiy and stealth attacks and how attacks now start at the kernel level, has this happened to anyone? There was no video playing, I was on my home screen while the sound was coming out.

I started closing apps 1 by 1 to see if it would stop. First I thought it was pulse, so closed it first, then Google Chrome and nothing. I ended up closing all of my apps and it was still playing!

At the end I heard the "Intel inside" sound.

Anyone else experience this??

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
That is weird. Never heard of such a thing especially after all apps were closed.

Hopefully someone else chimes in about the same or similar experience

OP
AlexSB

AlexSB

Reaction score
Me too....I'm hoping its not any type of malware on my phone. I made sure to wipe all data before doing the ICS update like a week ago.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

digitalhyper

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo
Me too....I'm hoping its not any type of malware on my phone. I made sure to wipe all data before doing the ICS update like a week ago.

This happen to me just last night.. I know it's been a while since your post, but out of no where a Ford instructional audio clip was playing. I started closing everything too.. can't really say where it's coming from. It could have been linked with Myfitness Pal app, as I closed it down today when I heard it again and it went away. But could have been sheer luck.. can't remember if I closed that app last night too.

jmc05017

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S5 Verizon
This happen to me just last night.. I know it's been a while since your post, but out of no where a Ford instructional audio clip was playing. I started closing everything too.. can't really say where it's coming from. It could have been linked with Myfitness Pal app, as I closed it down today when I heard it again and it went away. But could have been sheer luck.. can't remember if I closed that app last night too.

The same thing happened to me last Wednesday and Thursday, I got an instructional audio clip about bike tires and a couple other random ones that night and they day after. I just wanted to let you know that it also stopped when I force closed MyFitnessPal, because I had the same reaction as you - wasn't sure if it was a coincidence. At least now I know I'm not the only one!

cynkrzy

Platinum Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
Not to hijack this thread, but this is a great argument for root and ad blockers

Reactions: cr6

jessimacd

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note 3
The same thing happened to me last Wednesday and Thursday, I got an instructional audio clip about bike tires and a couple other random ones that night and they day after. I just wanted to let you know that it also stopped when I force closed MyFitnessPal, because I had the same reaction as you - wasn't sure if it was a coincidence. At least now I know I'm not the only one!

I am SO glad I found this thread. The other day at work all of a sudden this man's voice came blaring out of my phone, talking about cars or trucks or something. It's happened several times since, and I've formatted twice, thinking it was some sort of malware or something. I thought it was fixed but I was just in the middle of a tutoring session and it happened again - something about motors and a pickup truck. Wtf?! I'm also glad to hear I'm not the only one. I have myfitnesspal as well - interesting coincidence. Was there a recent update or something that could be causing this?

Carolync

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S5
I have had this happen twice now...something about how to check a battery with a multimeter. No way to turn it off except by power down. I also use MyFitnessPal however..have a widget and keep it running cuz I use it a lot.
Odd, because the audio that plays has nothing to do with fitness or diet...
Anyone figure this out yet?

Knelson095

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo
Same thing happened to me. Startled me, as my phone was not being used and was sitting beside me. Started blaring a videojug something or other. I also have my fitness pal, and I would hate to have to ditch it...

runmtrun

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
one plus one
similar thing happened here....about 2 weeks ago started hearing these random audio ads or infomercials about pickup trucks every couple of days, usually occurring middle of the night. Volue is
I am SO glad I found this thread. The other day at work all of a sudden this man's voice came blaring out of my phone, talking about cars or trucks or something. It's happened several times since, and I've formatted twice, thinking it was some sort of malware or something. I thought it was fixed but I was just in the middle of a tutoring session and it happened again - something about motors and a pickup truck. Wtf?! I'm also glad to hear I'm not the only one. I have myfitnesspal as well - interesting coincidence. Was there a recent update or something that could be causing this?
Similar thing is happening to me....randomly, the phone plays like a infomercial about pickup trucks or truckbeds. Really annoying, happens in middle of night. Even with the phone volume all the way down, it suddenly starts blasting this idiot speaking, as if I cared! Also, I do not have "myfitnesspal" installed on my phone. I thought it might be from another app called World Newspapers but cannot confirm that. I've tried at least 15 antivirus programs and none indicate a problem. I've not seen any solutions for it happening in phones, just on PC's, something to do with a rootkit destroyer. Need a solution for phones though. The sooner the better...wondering if this is a relatively new annoying phone malware?

Alycat1777

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid
Hi thanks for this forum! An ad woke me up this morning and it infuriated me when I couldn't turn it off. I also have myfitnesspal so I'm seeing a trend here. If anyone has info on how to turn this off indefinitely please respond. Thank you!

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
I would back up the data and files you want to keep and do a Factory Reset. When done, format your SD card and replace your files. Add App back one at a time [check the app] to be sure you do not transfer the malware back...

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
A FDR will not wipe the information off your external sd card. (Though some folks remove it altogether just to be safe) There's no need to wipe your sd card unless you have a bunch of apps & their data stored on it.
Personally I would think back to when you started noticing it, and recall what new apps you downloaded around that time, and start from there by removing the newer apps. Nine times out of ten it's a third party app that you've downloaded (or updated) thats causing this. Or even a setting that has been changed within a streaming media app.
Good luck & let us know how you make out.

S5 tap'n

kerrymiller

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
XT1254 (Turbo)
I started experiencing this ~ Feb 21 2016, and I do not have myfitnesspal. I have a Motorola Droid Turbo (XT1254) (which does not have external SD card capability, to my chagrin) on a Verizon account. Verizon Protect detects no malware. I am not aware of having added anything new to the phone immediately prior to the initial occurrence. One of the wee-hours recordings was a dissertation on playing Gods of War IV. (I don't game online.) The most recent, about an hour ago, was some woman doing a couple of minutes of advice about having a TV in your bedroom. (I don't.) I have also taken the usual steps of trying safe mode and restoring the phone to factory settings ("wiping" the phone), to no avail. Both Verizon and Motorola deny ever having heard of the issue. I am skeptical.
Since it was about 2-3 weeks between occurrences before today, the strategy of wiping the phone and then re-installing apps one at a time and waiting for a recurrence seems impractical. How long do I wait between app installations? How many months will it be before I have my phone fully functional again? SOMEBODY must have some analysis/monitoring/logging tools that could analyze what's accessing the audio device on my phone at any given time. Then, given a time of occurrence, a likely culprit could be identified.