Phone randomly playing "commercial" through speakers???

kerrymiller

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
XT1254 (Turbo)
I should add that this happens when the phone is completely idle, and locked. Unlocking the screen reveals nothing.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
I've had this happen when I back out of watching a video on Facebook, or especially a saved video clip on Facebook.. On the browser too..it's like the phone gets confused when you close that browser window and will try to play it again when you're navigating back to your home screen..usually when I'm backing out..if I just tap home, I don't recall having the issue ..

kerrymiller

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
XT1254 (Turbo)
This was supposed to fix the problem...

Android 5.1.3 Release Notes & Discussion

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
As far as I can find, there is no 5.1.3 release of the Android software. If you are talking about an Android 5.1.3 update for myfitnesspal, please see my post of 7:53 PM CDT yesterday: I DO NOT HAVE MYFITNESSPAL, so I don't see how an update to that app could help.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
I do see that you don't have that app installed but you're not the only party suffering this issue. The proposed solution I noted was for the benefit of those who do.

Your phone's issues may be related though, as perhaps the same advertisement tool they were using could also be one used by another app you have installed. I would uninstall all apps you don't use on a regular and consistent basis, and see if that resolves the problem. If not, then you'll need to uninstall each remaining app one at a time and give it a couple days to see if the problem is resolved.

cmurphy

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Yeah, these ransom infomercials are more than annoying! I have never had "my fitness pal", nor do i have an app by the same creators, i have the Note 5, I've tried all the same things, shutting down apps, uninstalling ... ???
another odd thing about it, it will do this several times a day for days in a row, then not happen at all for two weeks, making it excruciatingly difficult for me track it to a specific app

JacobVR

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S6
My Droid Bionic is eating a big bowl of boot loops and i cant get out of it. im rooted and was trying to restore my phone as i had installed android 4.0.3. and during the process i accidentally removed safestrap and i'm stuck in the boot cycle. it shows the bionic boot logo then goes back to where it says : Droid" and then it repeats. i can't boot into recovery either.

kerrymiller

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
XT1254 (Turbo)
Yeah, these ransom infomercials are more than annoying! I have never had "my fitness pal", nor do i have an app by the same creators, i have the Note 5, I've tried all the same things, shutting down apps, uninstalling ... ???
another odd thing about it, it will do this several times a day for days in a row, then not happen at all for two weeks, making it excruciatingly difficult for me track it to a specific app
I should add that this happens when the phone is completely idle, and locked. Unlocking the screen reveals nothing.
I discovered something else with the last two occurrences. If, as soon as the recording starts to play, I open the phone app and start a call, it interrupts the audio--but If I hang up immediately, the rogue audio resumes. All my carrier, Verizon, can offer, is to refer me to Motorola, the phone manufacturer. All they will offer is to replace the phone (either send it in and be without it for a week, or pay $25 to have an advance exchange, neither of which is an acceptable option), which I am fully convinced will not correct this. And when it doesn't, all they'll keep exchanging ad infinitum in hopes of finding one that works. Try this one, try this one, try this one... Yeah, right.

kerrymiller

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
XT1254 (Turbo)
I discovered something else with the last two occurrences. If, as soon as the recording starts to play, I open the phone app and start a call, it interrupts the audio--but If I hang up immediately, the rogue audio resumes. All my carrier, Verizon, can offer, is to refer me to Motorola, the phone manufacturer. All they will offer is to replace the phone (either send it in and be without it for a week, or pay $25 to have an advance exchange, neither of which is an acceptable option), which I am fully convinced will not correct this. And when it doesn't, all they'll keep exchanging ad infinitum in hopes of finding one that works. Try this one, try this one, try this one... Yeah, right.
And when I pushed harder, they finally admitted that there's a Level 3 support. Not sure why the don't offer that BEFORE the phone exchange.

kerrymiller

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
XT1254 (Turbo)
And when I pushed harder, they finally admitted that there's a Level 3 support. Not sure why the don't offer that BEFORE the phone exchange.
Wow. Motorola set my expectation for 48-72 hours for a callback from Level 3. They called in about 5 MINUTES! That was gratifying! That tech eventually suggested a "clear cache partition" operation which is NOT part of a factory restore (and to my mind should have been tried PRIOR to any discussion of reset or hardware replacement). That's complete, and now we get to wait to see if this recurs. It's been as long as 2-3 weeks between occurrences, so this may be a while.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I guess I missed this thread along the way. The Bionic Boot Loop stuff threw me off. We should have suggested a cache clear early on, that is a standard troubleshooting step. Hopefully it's that simple for you and it helps clear up your issue.

kerrymiller

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
XT1254 (Turbo)
I would think a complete factory reset (which was already done) would also implicitly clear the cache--and it hasn't resolved the issue. Motorola Level 3 told me that clearing/formatting the cache PARTITION is a separate operation. So I guess we need to be clearer about whether we're talking clearing the cache memory or the cache partition.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Both of those are non destructive operations that do not remove user data. If the same problem occurs / occurred after a FDR then my guess would be the same app causing the problem downloaded right back into the phone after the FDR, because the Setting for Backup My Data was turned On before the FDR.

kerrymiller

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
XT1254 (Turbo)
Both of those are non destructive operations that do not remove user data. If the same problem occurs / occurred after a FDR then my guess would be the same app causing the problem downloaded right back into the phone after the FDR, because the Setting for Backup My Data was turned On before the FDR.

I suppose that's likely--but there needs to be some way to identify WHICH app it is. How amenable would YOU be to removing ALL apps from your phone for a few weeks, crippling it for functions you need it for, and then load them back, one at a time, at two- to three-week intervals (because it has been that long between occurrences), in hopes of identifying by random chance which one is the culprit? It could take MONTHS. Guesswork is NOT troubleshooting.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I suppose that's likely--but there needs to be some way to identify WHICH app it is. How amenable would YOU be to removing ALL apps from your phone for a few weeks, crippling it for functions you need it for, and then load them back, one at a time, at two- to three-week intervals (because it has been that long between occurrences), in hopes of identifying by random chance which one is the culprit? It could take MONTHS. Guesswork is NOT troubleshooting.
I have done that twice. It's not fun, I agree. But I have done it and was able to find the bad app and resolve the issue.