Phone proximity sensor bug, makes phone go mute or hang up

tassadar898

Reaction score
Coming from chevy's roms for a long time i forgot this bug existed prior to when he fixed it during 4.X... During a phone call if I hold the phone my right shoulder it will mute, dial numbers, or hang up during the call. Moving to saphire for the first time i can see this bug is present.... see this thread:

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/chevyno1/55913-call-tilt-sensor.html

Chevy fixed it so maybe CVPCS can?

captdroid

Reaction score
Coming from chevy's roms for a long time i forgot this bug existed prior to when he fixed it during 4.X... During a phone call if I hold the phone my right shoulder it will mute, dial numbers, or hang up during the call. Moving to saphire for the first time i can see this bug is present.... see this thread:

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/chevyno1/55913-call-tilt-sensor.html

Chevy fixed it so maybe CVPCS can?

There is a open Bugzilla ticket for this issue: Bug 66 – Proximity Sensor??? since 0.8.4

Reaction score
That explains why I muted the phone in a call for the first time ever last night (and I've had it since launch day).

captdroid

Reaction score
That explains why I muted the phone in a call for the first time ever last night (and I've had it since launch day).

It's actually an issue even with Eclair Android 2.1 the phone turning back on while holding up to your ear. Often people with long hair have the problem.

[video=youtube;leg5JX3KYuw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=leg5JX3KYuw]YouTube - ‪Motorola Droid A855 Mutes and Drops Calls!‬‎[/video]

Reaction score

It's actually an issue even with Eclair Android 2.1 the phone turning back on while holding up to your ear. Often people with long hair have the problem.

Huh, strange. I've never had it happen before, and my hair is very short. Hopefully it was just a fluke and doesn't happen again then.

captdroid

Reaction score

Huh, strange. I've never had it happen before, and my hair is very short. Hopefully it was just a fluke and doesn't happen again then.

I have never had the problem (short hair) with Eclair or Froyo but my g/f does unless she puts the phone behind her hair.

OP
T

tassadar898

Reaction score

[video=youtube;leg5JX3KYuw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=leg5JX3KYuw]YouTube - ‪Motorola Droid A855 Mutes and Drops Calls!‬‎[/video]

I have a buzzcut and it happens to me atleast once a day cause i rest my phone my right shoulder all the time

DJSpite

Reaction score

I have never had the problem (short hair) with Eclair or Froyo but my g/f does unless she puts the phone behind her hair.

This is not a short hair/long hair/dirty hippie issue. Please read the thread (or at least the last page) the original poster linked to.

Last edited:

captdroid

Reaction score

This is not a short hair/long hair/dirty hippie issue. Please read the thread (or at least the last page) the original poster linked to.

Yes there does appear to be at least 2 different issues relating to proximity sensor and the phone locking and staying locked when held up to ones head.

YankInDaSouth

Theme Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.wix.com
OK - Glad I saw this post, thought something was wrong with me phone. I almost always use my bluetooth, but yesterday I took a call without it and my phone hung up!
Also, I noticed a slight lag when swiping to answer.

captdroid

Reaction score

[video=youtube;leg5JX3KYuw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=leg5JX3KYuw"]YouTube - ‪Motorola Droid A855 Mutes and Drops Calls!‬‎[/video]

I have a buzzcut and it happens to me atleast once a day cause i rest my phone my right shoulder all the time

Yes, in the Bugzilla ticket I am asking for a Sapphire built in option to ignore the proximity sensor for locking while in a phone call and have slider lock that can be manually unlocked and unlocks automatically when call ends. There is a program in the market called Screen Suite which my g/f uses. However, Screen Suite does not disable the home key button which will unlock the phone while in a call and Screen Suite remains locked after the call ends and must be manually unlocked. I think it would be great if Sapphire addressed the proximity issues while in a call by having my suggested built in solution as an option.

Bugzilla ticket: http://bugs.ccroms.net/show_bug.cgi?id=66

Screen Suite: http://www.appsbeyond.com/apps/screen-suite

Last edited:
OP
T

tassadar898

Reaction score
Having come from SS i can tell you chevy has found a way to completely remedy the issue on his ROM

captdroid

Reaction score
Having come from SS i can tell you chevy has found a way to completely remedy the issue on his ROM

What issue exactly? The phone tilting causing the phone to become unlocked during a call? There is no way to completely resolve the 'proximity issues' in general without providing a manual lock function as I suggest as an option built into Sapphire. Soon as the proximity sensor is fooled for some reason the phone will unlock while in a call leaving open the possibility of hitting mute, hanging up the call, etc.

OP
T

tassadar898

Reaction score

What issue exactly? The phone tilting causing the phone to become unlocked during a call? There is no way to completely resolve the 'proximity issues' in general without providing a manual lock function as I suggest as an option built into Sapphire. Soon as the proximity sensor is fooled for some reason the phone will unlock while in a call leaving open the possibility of hitting mute, hanging up the call, etc.

Read the thread in the first post.... on his rom i never accidentally muted, hung up, dialed numbers while talking on the phone... I have done that twice in the 2 days on saphire 1.0... chevy said he found a fix and he did it.. maybe CVPCS can ask chevy how he did it? Other than that i love saph 1.0 which is why i want this issue to be resolved!

captdroid

Reaction score

Read the thread in the first post.... on his rom i never accidentally muted, hung up, dialed numbers while talking on the phone... I have done that twice in the 2 days on saphire 1.0... chevy said he found a fix and he did it.. maybe CVPCS can ask chevy how he did it? Other than that i love saph 1.0 which is why i want this issue to be resolved!

Yes, actually I just did some further testing and I think what is going on with people that have long hair or not is they are holding the phone at a different angle causing the phone to turn back on during a call due to the bug which apparently Chevy has resolved that problem. I agree perhaps CVPCS can ask Chevy how he resolved this bug or see what is causing based on the simple test Chevy describes in your OP link. Thanks! :)

Last edited: