Phone proximity sensor bug, makes phone go mute or hang up

GodfatherIP

Reaction score
I found a great discussion about this same issue in the cyanogenmod forums. Apparently this isn't a bug but a new "feature" of froyo (don't you love those new features that screw things up). Anyway in froyo the screen will come on if you tilt the phone horizontal (or to what it considers close to horizontal) regardless of the status of the proximity sensor. Luckily someone who knows more about this stuff than I do took the time to edit cytown's phone.apk to add another option that allows this behavior to be disabled while still having the normal UI come on if you take the phone away from your ear. I pushed this new phone.apk to system and after setting the proper permissions and rebooting it seems to work fine with Sapphire 1.0.0 (no reason why it shouldn't). No more face muting, hurray! dancedroid

Post #14 in this thread has the phone.apk I used:
Proximity Sensor not working fully in call - CyanogenMod Forum
There is another one earlier on in the thread that just disables it but the one in #14 has an option so you can toggle it.

captdroid

Reaction score
I found a great discussion about this same issue in the cyanogenmod forums. Apparently this isn't a bug but a new "feature" of froyo (don't you love those new features that screw things up). Anyway in froyo the screen will come on if you tilt the phone horizontal (or to what it considers close to horizontal) regardless of the status of the proximity sensor. Luckily someone who knows more about this stuff than I do took the time to edit cytown's phone.apk to add another option that allows this behavior to be disabled while still having the normal UI come on if you take the phone away from your ear. I pushed this new phone.apk to system and after setting the proper permissions and rebooting it seems to work fine with Sapphire 1.0.0 (no reason why it shouldn't). No more face muting, hurray! dancedroid

There is another one earlier on in the thread that just disables it but the one in #14 has an option so you can toggle it.

On incoming call the left slider is almost off the screen when running this version of Cytown phone.apk you are using from 'Post #14' in CyanogenMod forum.

Last edited:

GodfatherIP

Reaction score

On incoming call the left slider is almost off the screen when running this version of Cytown phone.apk you are using from 'Post #14' in CyanogenMod forum.

I noticed that too, is there any chance that someone who is more experience than I could port this fix over for sapphire. The ppl on the cyanogen mod forum says that the fixed phone.apk looks fine when running it on CM6.