Solved phone not charging correctly

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
update Monday July 11 2016 went to local cell phone repair shop they said I need a new battery as mine was buldging They THOUGHT the slow charge issue was being caused by the battery being bad put new battery in came home plugged in charger same issue still slow charging it was supposed to take no more than 1 hour and 20 minutes to charge from 1 percent to 100 percent but it ended up but it ended up taking 11 almost 12 hours so I went back up there today and long story short they told me it is a problem with the phone that they can not fix I downloaded the ampere app and it has been at minimum 450 ma maximum 450 ma my question is when the battery was bad could it have damaged something in the phone dealing with the votage are power because it looks to me like the phone is not getting the proper amount of power it needs to charge fast does anyone have any ideas as to why it will not charge fast It has a new battery and I am using all orginal Samsung stuff no off brand atuff what so ever
If they were any good at troubleshooting they would have installed the new battery in the store, plugged a stock Samsung charger in and either using the Ampere app or a hardware metering adapter determined if the phone was now charging correctly or not.

I can tell you that I had problems with a Droid Turbo (the first generation Turbo), where if the plug was inserted but laid flat on the table it would charge but not at Turbo rate (fast charge). If I propped the cord to the charger up just enough to tilt the plug in the socket using my wallet the phone would then charge in Turbo mode. This signaled either a bad cable or bad socket. I tried all my cables and found several that worked correctly and didn't require then to be propped up but a number that had the same problem. The latter cables went into the trashcan and the problem went away.

I don't believe that the battery could have damaged the phone's charging system, and the fact that it charges fast sometimes points to an intermittent problem. Intermittent problems are more often than not mechanical in nature (i.e. failed cable), but an app could also be at the root of the problem.

A slightly bulging battery, as long as the case closes properly is not a serious problem but like a mole that you watch to see if it changes in shape or size signaling possible cancer, you should likewise take note how much it's bulging and see if it gets worse. Eventually it should be replaced but it never hurts to err on the side of caution except in respect to the expense of the new battery.

I wish I could tell you more but I still think the phone is not the issue. It is possible that the problem resides not at the point where the cable meets the phone but instead at the point where the cable meets the charger and that may be why moving the charger and phone to another plug (or house), thereby changing the cord orientation could result in it working at one place and not at another.

In order to properly negotiate Fast Charging there has to be "handshaking" (communication between the phone and charger), along the cable on wires and through connections that normally carry only data rather than the two wires which carry the current. An intermittent contact or break in a wire in the cable on one of those data lines, or likewise a wire or trace or contact that is broken in either the phone or charger could result in an interruption of the handshaking and prevent the two devices from communicating down the cable resulting in being unable to negotiate Fast Charging. As long as the two wires that carry power are still intact it will charge but only at the standard charging rate.

I would try different cables, different orientation of the charger and phone in relation to the cables, slight upward or downward pressure on the plugs, and see if you can get it to kick into Fast Charging.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

OP
M

matt192004

Reaction score
First off thank you to everyone for your patience and help when I went monday they put the new battery in and sent me on my way
Yesterday I went back they had me leave my charge and plug up there they tested it and at first thought it was the wall plug that was bad I requested more testing be done on my phone I thought they would check voltage etc well there idea of more testing was. To put my.phone on a stock charger they had I left it there 30 minutes and it charged.like 12 percent they did NOT to my knowledge check the voltage at any time with a meter are ampere app i have figured out they are not verv knowledgeable they just said your phone Is losing power and charging slow but nothing we can do. Last night I was putting pressure on the charging cable moving it around after plugging it in and it would get to 1200 MA and 1800 MA but drop right back.down when I moved even slightly so my question Is I THINK I'm getting to the bottom of this is it the port are something else going on according to ampere app I run between 300 and 450 MA unless I play with the cord and get it higher. .

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
The stock cables on the S5 do wear out quickly due to the nature of the plug. Have you tried using a new OEM cable? They are relatively inexpensive. (Around 12-15 bucks) It needs to be an OEM cable specifically made for the S5 and not a knock off fast charging cable.

(I've gone through two in 2+ years myself, and thanks to @Efin a couple months ago, have a new one that works great)

S5 tap'n

OP
M

matt192004

Reaction score
this is a new cable I ordered off the internet a couple of months I ordered it a while back and thought it had fixed the problem but it turns out it did not help it and that is when I first got it it was factory sealed it was not a refurbished one. My main problem is it is still charging slow nothing has helped I have tried numerous cables when it first started and then Monday got a brand new 30 dollar battery and nothing is helping should I purchase another cable and cord like I have know are what should my next step be? the only thing I have not done since this all started is a factory data reset should I try that and see if that will solve the problem? that is the only other thing I can think of to try and I do not know if it would help it are not

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
I'm still going to stick with my last assessment. I believe you either have a bad cable or bad power port on the phone based on your last post.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

OP
M

matt192004

Reaction score
Ok I did a factory data reset last night which did NOT help anything I am thinking since the cable I have is new and it didn't help it back then when I got the cable and Statted using it and the new battery didn't help I am thinking foxkat maybe right but how do I go about getting the power port replaced and also if there is a short in it are if it is bad and needs to be replaced will fixing it stop the slow cbarging problem that I have had for many months?

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
I don't recall buy if the phone is too old for warranty coverage then getting the port repaired could be expensive. It would require disassembly and then depending on construction it would be an inexpensive replacement of the daughter board, or if it's soldered directly to the motherboard the expense will skyrocket.

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

OP
M

matt192004

Reaction score
Ok I have called a few places they have all told me the way the phone is designed the screen will also have to be replaced the only differences is the prices one place told me 195.00 the other one told me 260.00 know I did have one place tell me they can try just the power port for $75.00 BUT IF the screen breaks and they told me that is a possibility the repair will.go from 75 dollars to 250.00 so I can honestly say I am lost should I try one more set of cables to see IF mahe that's the problem keep in mind these cables are not old and didn't help to start with are should I proceed with the repair and have the phone fixed are just use it til it will not charge at all then purchase a new phone I mean I like this phone and there is nothing wrong with it but the slow charging there is no scratches are anything on it cosmetically it is fine

MattE303

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S5
Ok I have called a few places they have all told me the way the phone is designed the screen will also have to be replaced the only differences is the prices one place told me 195.00 the other one told me 260.00 know I did have one place tell me they can try just the power port for $75.00 BUT IF the screen breaks and they told me that is a possibility the repair will.go from 75 dollars to 250.00 so I can honestly say I am lost should I try one more set of cables to see IF mahe that's the problem keep in mind these cables are not old and didn't help to start with are should I proceed with the repair and have the phone fixed are just use it til it will not charge at all then purchase a new phone I mean I like this phone and there is nothing wrong with it but the slow charging there is no scratches are anything on it cosmetically it is fine
just another option to consider, you can buy a certified used S5 for slightly less than the repair costs you're looking at:

Galaxy S5 SM-G900V 16GB (Verizon) (Gazelle.com)

OP
M

matt192004

Reaction score
phone is still doing the same thing except when I took the battery out the other day the part that is white the sticker it is red so I have done some research and have decided to purchase a new phone another galaxy s5 but my question is how long does a full charge last with heavy use a lot of texting? How long will a full charge last me? also how long does it take the battery to charge from 0 o 100 percent? does the galaxy s5 do the fast charging like some of the newer phones?