Phone is not ringing

sharpz

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I have the weirdest problem with my phone. When my phone has not been messed with for anywhere between 30mins to an hour, when people call me, it will ring on their end 5-6 times, but on my end it never rings. The phone will be sitting right next to me and not even ring. My first thought was, this is is probably a service issue, but as you can see in the video I posted below (showing the phone do the problem) i have full service. This has also done this while im driving down the road.

I went to verizon and they sent me a new phone because they had no idea what was causing it. The only problem is, the new phone is doing it too. The video I attached below is of my new phone (1 week old), doing the exact same thing.

My next thought is maybe this is some sort of issue with Google Voice? Even though I would be really surprised if it is because the phone works perfectly if it hasn't been left alone for a while. For instance today, my buddy called me, and left me a voicemail. As soon as I made an out going call, of a sudden I got 5 text messages and the voice-mail he left me from over an hour ago. Once I make a call or text message, I will start receiving calls and text messages immediately. It's almost like it stops connecting to a tower and they stop sending me data, and then when I send out something I start receiving it.

Does anyone have any idea what is causing this. I completely uninstalled google voice even though I don't think that is the problem (because it is my ACTUAL VERIZON NUMBER) that is not ringing on my end. It is still doing the same exact thing even with Google Voice off the phone. I have tried doing factory resets on both phones and I have the same issue. The tech at the store once again is sending me a new phone, but we were both talking and it seems at first it would be an issue with Verizons routing to my phone, but why does it work perfectly when the phone has not been inactive for a period of time?

Any ideas would be great!

[video=youtube;IZV2P316XOc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZV2P316XOc]YouTube - Phone not ringing[/video] (here is a video of it happening. I called from skype, I also called from my house phone and it did the exact same thing).

OP
S

sharpz

Reaction score
Yep! that was the first thing Verizon did to it. I have done it to both phones. Is it not the weirdest thing ever?

brando56894

Reaction score
Thats really odd, like you said it seems that youre getting disconnected from the tower when the phone isnt in use. Maybe try reactivating it? (*228 option 1) another option is to constantly use the phone lol

I remember one of my old dumb phones used to do something like this, people would leave me voicemail and I wouldnt get it until days later...

OP
S

sharpz

Reaction score
Well Verizon is sending me a new phone for the 2nd time tomorrow. If that one does the same thing then I am goin to demand they let me out of my contract so I can purchase a new phone at the discount rate. I would probably switch to the Droid X. I love the droid, but having a phone that does not ring is basically pointless lol.

Panda

Reaction score
Sharpz how'd you make out with this (2nd phone)....my droid is doing basically the same thing. When I called Verizon the first time they couldn't even find a record of the calls going to my phone. My husband never left a voice mail because sometimes he never received an option too, the phone just kept ringing. Love the droid however I really don't want to send this one back as well and keep having the issue, wasn't happy that they sent me a refurbished one to start with.

OP
S

sharpz

Reaction score
phone issues

I'm on my 3rd droid now, and it is still doing it some extent. What was causing it to happen all the time was Google Voice. It was trying to forward all my calls. Verizon took that off my phone and now I'm receiving most of my calls. My text messages are still a little delayed though.

If it continues through the next week, I'm goin to tell Verizon to cancel my entire number, and just tell them to give me a new model phone and a new number, because it has to be something on their internal system. There is no way 3 phones would have the same issue.