phone dropped! wont orient

lantz

Reaction score
So my boss dropped my droid in landscape mode screenfirst. Everything seemed fine physically, but now on the homescreen, it won't orient vertically when in the vertical position. I tried turning the phone off and on, dissabling and enabling the orientation in the settings and still won't orient properly. When using apps, the screen orients as it should. My boss is suggesting I drop the phone again but id rather not..any help would be appreciated

Last edited:

Limbermind

Reaction score
Sorry this happened lantz. It would kill me.

Not much of a solution, but rather a way to get better information about what's really going on.
I would download "GPS Status" (or similarly featured app) to help ascertain whether or not the pitch/roll & accelerometer sensors are still working correctly.

The app is free, and works well.

It will show you the pitch & roll of your Droid in real time. It will also show you the current "acceleration" in composite form (combination of axis).

The app does other incredible things, but they're not important to this test.

Let us know.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I would be willing to bet money that the switch that tells the phone if the keyboard is slid out is now busted. If the keyboard is slid out it will not go to portrait mode no matter what you do. Try turning the auto brightness on and going into a dark room and seeing if you can see the keyboard light up when the phone is closed.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

OP
L

lantz

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestion. I've been trying to do my own little tests prior to this response to see if the accelerometer was damaged in the fall. Sure enough, the screen orients normally in other apps as well as the stock browser, but the home screen still isn't going into landscape when turned horizontally. The app you suggested to me also works without a hitch. I've been turning my phone and isn't doing anything abnormal.

OP
L

lantz

Reaction score
The screen goes into portrait when the keyboard is slid out. Sorry for the mix up with the initial post.

Slider46

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestion. I've been trying to do my own little tests prior to this response to see if the accelerometer was damaged in the fall. Sure enough, the screen orients normally in other apps as well as the stock browser, but the home screen still isn't going into landscape when turned horizontally. The app you suggested to me also works without a hitch. I've been turning my phone and isn't doing anything abnormal.

The stock home screen will not go into landscape when simply turned horizontally. It should however, go into landscape when the keyboard is slid open.

*I just noticed your edit - There's obviously something wrong with the switch that brings the screen to landscape when the keyboard is slid open.

HelixLauncher is the only launcher I know if that has the option to have the home screen go into landscape mode simply by turning the phone. Actually, I have that feature turned off because it's rather annoying to me.

OP
L

lantz

Reaction score
Ahh, that's reassuring to hear! When the phone was dropped, I guess it was landscape mode on an app and just got stuck there, so I guess everything is working. Well, mostly everything, but I'll save it for another topic. Thanks for all the help everyone.

zerouzaria

Reaction score
I would be willing to bet money that the switch that tells the phone if the keyboard is slid out is now busted. If the keyboard is slid out it will not go to portrait mode no matter what you do. Try turning the auto brightness on and going into a dark room and seeing if you can see the keyboard light up when the phone is closed.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

hi ive been searching around and i have this exact problem the screen is stuck on portrait as if the keyboard is always out i cant even use the virtual keyboard

Last edited: