Orientation / Accelerometer Problems

sparaz

Reaction score
I updated last night and was psyched when I rebooted and it oriented to landscape in closed mode! Then I went to bed and by morning it had gone back to non-landscape orientation again. I hate that. I can't believe they say that they do that on purpose when so many of us want it to be landscape based as desired.

If they have their reasons than at least make it a setting for US to choose, because it does in fact SUPPORT it.

janiceagreb

Reaction score
My husband && I both got the MotoDroid. His screen goes into landscape mode when rotated --yes, even on the home screen-- without sliding the keyboard up. Mine, however, doesn't. Of the two phones mine seems to be the one glitching. Not the other way around.

It doesn't make sense that it won't go into landscape mode on the home page without having the keyboard out. Why only the home page?

Taegost

Reaction score
Yeah, there are quite a few discussions about this. I thought I saw something official from Google saying that it hasn't been implemented for the home screen, but I'm too lazy to confirm... Is it so hard to believe that, since there are more people saying "It worked before, now it doesn't" then there are saying that it never worked, that it may be a bug? (Ahem, I'm sorry, "Undocumented Feature") :)
I do know for a fact that it seems to be intermittent, before I switched to a non-stock ROM, mine would occasionally re-orient itself with the keyboard close, but I could never get it to do it consistently... Nor do I want it to. I want my home screen to stay oriented the same way all the time, and I almost disabled the re-orientation option to stop it.
So, to summarize, it does happen. For some it's random, for some it's all the time, but the general consensus from Motorola and Google is that currently, it's not supported.

REMilk

Reaction score
I have a Motorola Droid running the stock 2.1 OS.

I just switch back to the stock Home Screen and mine does not rotate but stays in portrait mode. I did find that if my slideout keyboard is out just a tiny bit, the home screen rotates to landscape. This is exactly as expected by me.

My replacement Home Screens rotate between portrait and landscape as advertised by the developers.

I will not speculate as to why the stock Home Screen rotated