Phone Advise

brandct

Reaction score
I have had an iPhone the last 4 years on Verizon Wireless. I am thinking about switching to another Android based phone (I have had a Original Motorola Droid and a Samsung Fascinate). I was wondering what you guys thought the best phone on there network is at this time. I have been looking a lot at the Samsung Galaxy S5, LG G3 and the HTC One (M8). It seems after my research I am pretty torn between mostly the S5 and G3. I was also very familiar with rooting phones as both of my former Android phones were rooted. I didn't know if one of these phones had better options when it came to that or not.

OP
B

brandct

Reaction score
The G3 was leading, but the more I read and the more I talk to people the harder the choice is lol

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
I have had Sammy phones for years and they make a decent device. I was torn between the S5 and G3.
I sold my S3 and S4 and bought the S5. I kept it for 2 weeks and returned it for the G3.
IMO, the G3 is made better, has a nicer screen and camera. We do not have carrier branded phones here. Therefore, no carrier bloat on either phone.
Personally, I like the G3's UI alot better.
I found both very close when it comes to speed and battery.
If water resistance is important to you go for the S5. Either phone is a good choice. The G3, IMO has a slight edge.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I'd say head to the store and check out some devices. You really can't go wrong with any of the top tier Android devices out right now. Each has their advantages and disadvantages, so it all comes down to what you're looking in a phone.

P

promo87

I have had an iPhone the last 4 years on Verizon Wireless. I am thinking about switching to another Android based phone (I have had a Original Motorola Droid and a Samsung Fascinate). I was wondering what you guys thought the best phone on there network is at this time. I have been looking a lot at the Samsung Galaxy S5, LG G3 and the HTC One (M8). It seems after my research I am pretty torn between mostly the S5 and G3. I was also very familiar with rooting phones as both of my former Android phones were rooted. I didn't know if one of these phones had better options when it came to that or not.

Well, I think you should shift yourself over to the samsung S5 it offers much better options and what I really like about its the looks. LG G3 is another amazing choice it also looks cool and if I talk about rooting then I guess that is not the reason you think about while choosing between S5 or G3 both of them have a number of .... which can help you out in carrying out rooting.

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
I'm with these guys, you can't go wrong with either device. That said, your best bet is check them both out in store first and make the decision based on your likes. Good luck!

tap'n on my S5

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I think you'll find the S5 more familiar to work with in that it is more ioslike in its ecosystem and being tied into the Samsung way of doing things.
Either choice will be light years away from your previous experience with Android os.
I personally would choose the G3 because it is less tied into the LG ecosystem than the S5 and Samsung. It's why when I switched carriers I moved away from Samsung.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk

OP
B

brandct

Reaction score
Thanks for all your replies. I think I am going to go down and hold both phones and look them over in person. I just wanted to know if there was a reason to steer away from either of them, and by all the comments here there is not.

At this point I think I am going to go with the G3 unless something changes when I actually get my hands on them.

OP
B

brandct

Reaction score
Well after considering everything and then figuring out that my local Verizon store was out of stock on the G3 and the S5. I decided to just order a White LG G3 and try it out. If that don't work out for me I have a 14 day return policy.

OP
B

brandct

Reaction score
Now the question is what apps can I not live without when I get this phone. I am sure there are some good ones on Android that I don't know about anymore lol

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
Well after considering everything and then figuring out that my local Verizon store was out of stock on the G3 and the S5. I decided to just order a White LG G3 and try it out. If that don't work out for me I have a 14 day return policy.
I did the opposite lol .. Got the S5 kept it for 2 weeks and traded it in for the G3.

P

promo87

Now the question is what apps can I not live without when I get this phone. I am sure there are some good ones on Android that I don't know about anymore lol

Well, I think you can't live without "Google Play Store" application ! Which of course is going to came installed over your device. So, after it the application which isn't going to came installed over device is Google Drive I would say !

OP
B

brandct

Reaction score
I got the phone in the mail this morning and so far it is not to bad. There is going to be a little but of a learning curve I can already tell that.