Phishing Scam Claiming To Be VZW

Heywood

Reaction score
Just got a call from 206-315-3010, was cooking dinner and missed the call. Anyway, automated female voice stating it was VZW wireless calling to notify me of a change to my account (this was the message left to my Google Voice), mentioned a first and last name which was not me then proceeded to ask for me to press 1 or 2 and enter my cell number, credit card info etc.

Just wanted to let everyone know in case it hasn't been mentioned. Hope this was the correct forum title to post in.

Pyzon

Reaction score
Stuff like this happens constantly these days, and frequently if you are listening carefully (assuming you answer the call) you will notice at the beginning of the sales pitch, the solicitor may use terminology like, "I'm calling on behalf of Verizon Wireless", or they may simply lie about who they are and why they are calling.

Now,the good news is that you can list your cell phone number on the Federal Do Not Call registry, and far fewer solicitations will come if you do that.

And if the deal sounds too good to be true..........You know the rest of the story.

h311sdr0id

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Development Device
Just an FYI. That number really is from Verizon. It is one of their call centers. And its usually when you are late on your bill. The different last and first name is just an error on their end. But normally, this is not the case.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Just an FYI. That number really is from Verizon. It is one of their call centers. And its usually when you are late on your bill. The different last and first name is just an error on their end. But normally, this is not the case.
That may very well be the correct number but that's a part of the scam. They use phone number spoofing to add credibility to their phishing tactics.

To be sure, Verizon will NEVER call and ask to confirm who you are, and they will NEVER use an automated system to ask for private data such as credit card numbers.

Don't ever give information like that out to anyone who calls you. If you think they're legitimate but want to be sure, ask them for their phone number and tell them you'll call them back. Watch how quickly they go away. If they give you a number and it's different than the one they called you on, that's another red flag. Instead call the number for the company that is on printed advertisements or on your bill and ask them if the other call was legitimate. I'll bet they will assure you it wasn't and restate what I said about privacy.

Sent from my Droid Turbo on Tapatalk.

h311sdr0id

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Development Device
The same with anyone calling and asking for any information. Spoofing Caller-ID's is too easy these days and all you need is a cheap PBX (and/or a PBX Cloud) and a few bucks.

I am only commenting on the actual number so that it is not picked up in a complex index search to find SPAM numbers and then build lists. Which most of these Caller-ID Blocker Apps use to put their lists together. In other words, you don't want this number on a Block List necessarily because if your provider is calling you to try and tell you your phone is about to get switched off, you might want to know that. I only say this because I have personally had this happen to me in the past with an expired credit card I had setup for auto-pay. I spaced on the expiration date and I had my phone setup to block all "UNKNOWN" callers. The next time I had subscribed to an app that had "Lists" to apply for blocking. I had the most basic/safest (what I thought) setup for blocking Spam and other crap. One day I wake up with no service.

Sometimes (if your lucky) Verizon will switch to other numbers when their system's server gets too many pickup-hangups. And then they will call from an alternate number.

Either way (to be safe), always jot down the Caller ID and then look it up on the internet and cross-reference/compare your findings.

But if you're not interested in finding out who it is or trying to report them, just call Verizon from your phone using one of their main numbers.

The Do Not Call List is a nice ve thing like this guy (above) said. And its totally worth the couple minutes it takes to register. But it doesn't take care of everything. If you have some time, go ahead and do an search for what the Do Not Call List can and can't do. I'm on there and I still get annoying calls. There are an infinite amount of options available to help keep your phone Spam Free. But there's just not really any way to 100% setup a SPAM Free Line.

-h311sdr0id

h311sdr0id

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Development Device
Half and half. For instance, my VZW number is forwarded to my Google Voice. So when they call, it rings my Google Voice number for a few rings and then hits my Voicemail. It all depends on how your GV is hooked up.

If you have more than one contact number on your account, Verizon will call you at multiple numbers to collect their $$. If I don't answer them sometimes, they call my wife (or at least they used to before she left..). I have had Verizon call my GV number in the past when I had it listed as a Second Primary Number.

-h311sdr0id

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
You're best to call *611 and confirm that you're speaking with VZW - never, ever ever give out your personal information if they called you.

Reactions: cr6

evildroid

Reaction score
I'm late on my bill, this number *is* most likely Verizon by the way. Of course I'll call 611 to deal with them but since this thread came up when I google/bing'd the number, thought I'd take a minute to reply.

Cheers,

E.D.

(I called, it's Verizon...)

Last edited: