PdaNet/FoxFi and the Galaxy S4

droidworld

Reaction score
It's possible that even if the Google Store says your provider blocked it to download it manually from PDANet and install it. I had to do the same for AT&T.

I've read there are ways once you go their website. A few configurations but i believe its possible

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Droid Forums

leeshor

Gold Member
Reaction score
I've read there are ways once you go their website. A few configurations but i believe its possible

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Droid Forums

If I remember correctly, when I first installed FoxFi on my new S4 and tried to use it it talked about getting PDANet. but the Store said my provider would not allow it and somewhere along the way I was provided a link to the PDANet site to download it, so I did, and when I installed it it worked like it did on my S3 except on the S3 I used the FoxFi icon, on the S4 I now use the PDANet icon, (for WiFi tether)

ThatGirlLaura

Reaction score
Okay.......I picked up an S4, Friday after work and absolutely love it. Foxfi works like a charm, with the major difference from the Bionic being the look of Verizon's hotspot (as shown in the pic Wicked posited). You shouldn't do anything with that hotspot button, as explained before, Foxfi exploits and uses the Verizon hotspot to provide your access. Once it says that Foxfi is up and running on the Foxfi screen, you're good to go. :icon_ lala:

And as soon as I figure out how to remove the Bonic pic from my signature, it'll be gone.

I also have the S4 with unlimited data from Verizon, Pda net/foxfi works like a charm. And Verizon's Icon does appear but if you open it, it should show your foxfi network name. But if you try and turn it on thru Verizon's Hotspot widget it will tell you you need to subscribe to mobile hotspot. So to those worried about being charged you certainly will not be.

skipbl92

Reaction score
I also have the S4 with unlimited data from Verizon, Pda net/foxfi works like a charm. And Verizon's Icon does appear but if you open it, it should show your foxfi network name. But if you try and turn it on thru Verizon's Hotspot widget it will tell you you need to subscribe to mobile hotspot. So to those worried about being charged you certainly will not be.

Good to know as I am also grandfathered with my data and was hoping FoxFi worked.

jc0515

Reaction score
Just a little more insight on this. I just purchased a Samsung Galaxy s4 from Verizon. In the past I've tethered my Droid 2 with great success with PdaNet. Installing the latest 4.1 version of PdaNet, it will not recognize the USB drivers for tethering...downloaded the Samsung drivers from junefabric site. I was able to active the WiFi Hotspot on PdaNet+/FoxFi, but the thing I'm wondering about is the following:

Am I limited to my 2Gb data plan? Will I get overage charges if I exceed my 2Gb limit?

While I do not seem to need to activate the Verizon Hotspot for the $20/mo, my phone does show my data usage. My old plan was the Unlimited, so I was not worried, but I also thought that Verizon wasn't even away of usage in tether mode.

Any insight?

jc0515

Reaction score
Just a little more insight on this. I just purchased a Samsung Galaxy s4 from Verizon. In the past I've tethered my Droid 2 with great success with PdaNet. Installing the latest 4.1 version of PdaNet, it will not recognize the USB drivers for tethering...downloaded the Samsung drivers from junefabric site. I was able to active the WiFi Hotspot on PdaNet+/FoxFi, but the thing I'm wondering about is the following:

Am I limited to my 2Gb data plan? Will I get overage charges if I exceed my 2Gb limit?

While I do not seem to need to activate the Verizon Hotspot for the $20/mo, my phone does show my data usage. My old plan was the Unlimited, so I was not worried, but I also thought that Verizon wasn't even away of usage in tether mode.

Any insight?

Answered my own question: "Yes" the usage shows up.

Did it always? Since I used to have Unlimited I never worried, but I never thought it did while tethered.

MTsang

Reaction score
I a bit confused here, do you still have your unlimited plan with Verizon? Sounds to me you gave that up. Why?
When you upgrade your phone to S4, you need to make sure you still have your grandfathered in unlimited plan (as you stated that was your old plan). If you do than you have nothing to worry about the overage charges.
If you did not keep your old plan than yes it will exceed your overage limit and you will get charge for it.
Verizon do not offer anymore unlimited but if that is your old plan than you should try to keep it. Why limit yourself with such a great phone.
My insight is PdaNet is pretty useless without unlimited data, it will go over 2gb easily in just couple of days (if you are a heavy user).
Hope this help.

MTsang

Reaction score
Another thing to add is yes the data usage always shows up on phone which is good to know.

jc0515

Reaction score
I a bit confused here, do you still have your unlimited plan with Verizon? Sounds to me you gave that up. Why?
When you upgrade your phone to S4, you need to make sure you still have your grandfathered in unlimited plan (as you stated that was your old plan). If you do than you have nothing to worry about the overage charges.
If you did not keep your old plan than yes it will exceed your overage limit and you will get charge for it.
Verizon do not offer anymore unlimited but if that is your old plan than you should try to keep it. Why limit yourself with such a great phone.
My insight is PdaNet is pretty useless without unlimited data, it will go over 2gb easily in just couple of days (if you are a heavy user).
Hope this help.

"Unlimited for Life" was explained as the Life of the Phone, and there is no longer grandfathering when you purchase a new phone. The Grandfathering was when they no longer have the unlimited plan, but still had unlimited users on old phones. We had four (4) phones, one smartphone, my wife's Droid 2, then the shared basic phones. Once my wife upgraded to an iPhone in December, we couldn't have our unlimited at the $30-$40 / month price anymore.

I only use PdaNet when I'm in the boonies and need to VPN into the office, so I'll just have to watch it.

MTsang

Reaction score
Then I was lucky to have kept my unlimited that I have grandfathered in with my old phones. My Verizon guy did it for me when I upgraded my phone from Galaxy Nexus to S4 because I got four lines to play with. I only pay $249 plus $50 rebate and kept my unlimited plan. My husband was not so lucky, he has to pay full retail price for his upgrade to keep his unlimited because his is a standalone line separate from mine. Which is still a better deal in a long run, beat paying xtra $20/month so he can use his pdanet. Thats how we been doing every two years for our upgrade.

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
"Unlimited for Life" was explained as the Life of the Phone, and there is no longer grandfathering when you purchase a new phone. The Grandfathering was when they no longer have the unlimited plan, but still had unlimited users on old phones. We had four (4) phones, one smartphone, my wife's Droid 2, then the shared basic phones. Once my wife upgraded to an iPhone in December, we couldn't have our unlimited at the $30-$40 / month price anymore.

I only use PdaNet when I'm in the boonies and need to VPN into the office, so I'll just have to watch it.
There's two ways to have "unlimited for life," one is to pay full price for a new phone (or buy a used one, etc.) and put it on your unlimited line, and the other is to upgrade another line and then move the new phone over. In the latter case, the easiest way to do it if you already have a feature phone/line with an upgrade is to use the upgrade on that line to get a discounted phone, then immediately move it off that line -- put the feature phone back on it -- and then move the new phone to your unlimited line. Like this:

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/samsung-galaxy-s4/245502-upgrade-unlimited-data-question.html

Hey guys looking to upgrade from the bionic to the s4 while also keeping my data plan

We are on a 3 person family plan(me,mom,sister) and both my mom and I have an upgrade available

She has a basic old school flip phone and has no interest in an upgrade so what I was wondering is if we upgrade her phone line to a s4 and then switch the s4 to my line would I still keep my unlimited data?

Also would she be able to switch back to her basic phone or would she have to use my bionic and pay for a data plan?

Thanks guys

-Matt

smd6169

Reaction score
Any word if Foxfi/PdaNet will be supported on the S4 on Sprint?

MTsang

Reaction score
The answer is yes, you can use your mother's line to upgrade to a new phone. After that just switch her new phone to your number and she can have her old phone back. That's how I got my S4 upgrade. I use my fathers line for upgrade. I have unlimited data and under a family plan with four lines to play with.