PDANet vs. East Tether

erich93063

Reaction score
Hey guys, so I searched the forums first and didn't see this topic come up. I have been using PDANet for a while now. It works great. I am using the free version so I have no https capability which is fine for the most part, but now I want to have https so I'm trying to determine if I should go ahead and buy the full version of PDANet or buy Easy Tether. I just found out about Easy Tether today so I don't no much about it, but I do notice that it is half the price of PDANet. Has anyone used both products? Can anyone tell me if one is better than the other and also if there are any collisions or problems having both installed? I'm afraid to even try Easy Tether because I'm afraid it might screw up my PDANet install on my PC somehow and then PDANet which I KNOW works good will stop working. Any help and suggestions would be great. Oh and I have no interest in rooting my phone to get free tethering. At least not yet. :) THANKS

Twist747

Reaction score
Why quit using something that has worked well and for years (for me). It may be time to say "thank you" by purchasing.

OP
E

erich93063

Reaction score
Because easy tether is half the price. I also read someone say they thought it was "faster", so wanted to try and find out if anyone else has noticed that difference or any other major differences. I have no problem paying for PDANet, its' just that if Easy Tether is better and half the price then I might think of switching. And I'm asking on here instead of trying it myself just in case Easy Tether does mess with my PDANet install.

pennypritty1

Reaction score
Is there a "how-to" on this massive forum on tethering a desktop for internet use via pdanet or east tether? I'm completely green to the process.

AustinWingnut

Reaction score
I'm new to the Droid after bailing out of my BB Storm a week and a half ago. Finding information about tethering the droid without paying Verizon monthly for the service was one of the 2 things that sold me on buying the Droid. I got poor information from a local store rep so I did research via internet and word of mouth. When searching "tethering" I found this: How to Tether Motorola Droid
I followed the steps and purchased PDANet, downloaded the software and drivers before buying the phone, installed it and went to buy the phone. Everything installed without issue and I haven't looked back. Its faster than what I had through my BB and Verizon.
This site probably has information on tethering but i just signed up and wouldn't know where to send you.

OP
E

erich93063

Reaction score
But you have to "root" your phone, which I did not want to do. Don't feel like bricking my phone or not being able to get official updates.

cwaechter

Reaction score
Droid Tether, in Afghanistan

Hello, I noticed this post. I am in Afghanistan and was researching ways to tether my phone as I was no where with a connection. I was getting ready to go through the whole root process and download Firefox, etc. , etc and then ran across both the PDAnet and the Easy Tether.I downloaded both but only used the Easy Tether. I have to say it worked GREAT! Unbelievably easy and concidering where I am Blazing Fast!Chris

FootballRef

Reaction score
I use a free version of Easy Tether and love it. I have only used it while traveling and only for net surfing. I have not came across any website that I couldn't get to.

I used it for several hours a couple of weeks ago while traveling on I-59 through Alabama.

mcatdtDroid

Reaction score
a lot of talk about not being able to get https capability on PDANet.... I have not had any issues with that on Easytether....

I have tried to try out PDANet but have never gotten it to work, I know it's just me doing something stupid, I'm sure, but everytime I do, I screw up Easytehter and it takes me about 30 minutes to get it going again.

Either way, Easy Tether Lite (free) is my home internet now. Works great. Finally, I can take my internet connection with me, wherever I go. It's the same reason I made the switchover from home phone to cell phone as my exclusive phone service.... Why pay $$ just to leave it at the house when you leave?

It's not my fault Verizon hasn't figured out a way to charge for the tethering thing, like they do with BB.

Even if/when they do, I will gladly pay the fee, since it's still cheaper than knology (just) home internet

MindBenda

Reaction score
So far...

PDANet is easily the best, neither can go faster than the other as it is based solely on the phone itself. However, PDA is more expenssive but comes with a lovely sms agent that allows you to catch and reply to texts without in anyway disrupting your connection, and does not require rooting. (Even though the z4root app does this without bricking your phone anyway)

dancedroid