OwnSkin - Live Wallpaper Tool/Customizer

wuyanks

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
OwnSkin

Last night we got the wonderful news on Google's App Inventor for Android. But what about an app which allows you to customize your very own live wallpapers? It turns out, a few days ago, such a tool was developed by madwolfchin of XDA, and is called OwnSkin.

ownskin1%20[df].png

On the surface, OwnSkin looks like any standard live wallpaper. However, looks can be deceiving! Upon selecting OwnSkin from the Live Wallpaper menu, you will venture into settings, and find two tabs: "My Store" and "Download". From "Download," you can download live wallpaper templates, which you can customize with various widgets and other objects. Currently, there are about a dozen templates available, with unique widgets and objects to each. I suggest you give it a whirl, and let us know your first impressions! Check out a quick preview video below:

[video=youtube;sc-AY_TUESk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sc-AY_TUESk&feature=player_embedded"]YouTube - Ownskin LiveWallpaper V1.0 Beta Introduction[/video]

From the video, there also seems to be a desktop-component to the app, maybe which will allow deeper customizations, and the building of your own templates. However, the desktop component has yet to be released. Currently OwnSkin is not available yet on the Android Market. To get started, you will need to download and install the OwnSkin APK available here: http://www5.ownskin.com/lwp/oslw.zip

I had a chance to play with OwnSkin for a few minutes, and was incredibly impressed. Not only are there over a dozen templates available, each with unique widgets, but the widgets are totally customizable. You can decide which homescreen you want to place the widgets. You can adjust its size and transparency. You can even give the widgets animations, and possibly can set certain widgets to auto-adjust with the accelerometer! Check out a few of the widgets in the screenshots below, which are part of the "darkNite" template:

OwnSkin Template Repo, OwnSkin Options Box

ownskin0%20[df].png
ownskin2%20[df].png

OwnSkin Brightness Adjuster Tool, OwnSkin Size Adjuster Tool

ownskin3%20[df].png
ownskin4%20[df].png

Download Link: http://www5.ownskin.com/lwp/oslw.zip
Source: XDA

Last edited:

justin82

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
cant download from my phone is link down?

OP
W

wuyanks

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
cant download from my phone is link down?

DL Link works for me. remember the provided file is .ZIP. You will need to extract the APK before you can install it.

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Can you use your own pics and then put the templates over it? Or can you only use what comes with?

OP
W

wuyanks

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
Can you use your own pics and then put the templates over it? Or can you only use what comes with?

the Android app only allows you to use the templates provided. However, there is a desktop component with full customization ability, which may or may not be released.

keithsmith22

Reaction score
How is this on the battery life? I love live wallpapers but don't keep them long because they wear out a battery.

OP
W

wuyanks

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score

fatpat3

Reaction score

Appleanche

Reaction score
You know what would be great would be an animated weather flip clock, like the one on Senese (especially the earlier european ones that flip)

SwiftLegend

Reaction score
Doesn't work for me...loaded the World Compass or w/e its called, and half of the wallpaper would be on my LauncherPro homescreen, other half would be black and say "Loading"

OP
W

wuyanks

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
Doesn't work for me...loaded the World Compass or w/e its called, and half of the wallpaper would be on my LauncherPro homescreen, other half would be black and say "Loading"

there may be compatibility issues with Launcher Pro. Try another one, like ADW (or stock launcher2)

madwolf

Reaction score
The web version will be release in about 2 weeks time.

We monitor the battery consumption very closely, In fact we decided to take out some GPS related feature because it is consuming to much battery life.

If you have any problem using the app please report them to me and we will try to solve the issues.

Thanks for posting this as a sticky here.

Madwolf Chin