Overheating in Car Dock

fletcher

Reaction score
So I bought the Motorola car dock for my Droid2 and after about an hour of usage with the Verizon Navigator app, I get a message that my phone is overheating, blah, blah, blah.

Pull the phone from the dock to turn it off, and it's really pretty toasty and it shuts down on it's own.

I thought the prob might have been the Liberty ROM w/minor overclocking I had installed, however now on Gingerbread with no overclocking and I'm get the same results.

I also tried out my wife's stock Droid2 in the car dock and it also overheats after about the same amount of usage time.

Has anyone else experienced this? Am I wrong to assume that the phone should be able to remain on in the car dock for turn-by-turn navigation on trips longer than an hour??

Thanks!

mkw87

Reaction score
My OG used to get real hot in the gps mount, especially when charging for obvious reasons. Funny thing is if you get it off the window and out of the sun it was fine.

scott32746

Reaction score
Same here out of the direct sunlight no over heating.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

lumpysherman

Reaction score
Used my OG D1 and Nav this weekend without overheating. Kept it out of the window and out of the car dock. Thankfully I have a spot in the middle of my dash where I can just lean the phone and use the nav plus keep it on the charger.

Lenagainster

Reaction score
I was able to mount the car dock on my truck just below the top of the dash. Signal is strong, and a bit of the AC blows on the Droid to cool it. It gets warm after a while, but not hot. I imagine the sun hitting a black surface heats it up quickly. It's not easy to find a spot on most vehicles to mount the car dock out of the sun.

Reaction score
Between the heat of heavy use, charging, and being in the sun, it's expected that the phone will get hot on the dash. As everyone else said, your best bet is to keep it somewhere that you can see it, but mostly out of the sun. I also have SetCPU set to throttle my processor to 600MHz max when the battery temp hits 46C. I don't see any decrease in performance, and it keeps the phone at a healthy operating temp.