OUYA Plans to Release a New Console Every Year

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Black_ouya_hardware-updates-every-year.jpg

OUYA CEO Julie Uhrman recently shared the OUYA console will have a development cycle very similar to the smartphone world, and come out with a new one every year. Their plan is to release an updated version for the same $99 dollar price each year, rather than try to create a whole new console from scratch. Here's a quote with some additional detail,

Uhrman said that the updated yearly consoles will “take advantage of faster, better processors,” thanks to the decline of component prices every year. However, it seems that the yearly console will get a naming scheme instead of simply remaining the “OUYA.” Uhrman says that each new console will be the “OUYA 2,” OUYA 3,” and so on.

However, Uhrman assures gamers that all games will be compatible with all the consoles, meaning that you don’t have to worry about an older game not working on a newer console.

Current speculation suggests the next-gen OUYA 2 for 2014 will come with the NVIDIA Tegra 4 instead of the Tegra 3 of the current model. What do you guys think of this? If we had to buy a new Playstation or Xbox every year, most of us would scream, but those cost far more than the OUYA. Do you think it would be worth $100 bucks a year to have your gaming console enhanced and upgraded each year? Share your perspective.

Source: OUYAForums.com via SlashGear

hammerhead13

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note10+ 5G
Interesting Concept but ANdroid games lack the depth of a true Console game at the moment. Besides i most high end smartphones have TV out and can use Bluetooth Controllers. If you upgrade your phone frequently, it will another expense to do the same thing. It is cheap enough to just get another and hand down the old one to a sibling or put in another room.

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
I want this AND Project Shield for OnLive and Steam (Shield only I think) If both can run emulators....that would be a huge plus too.

Getting this frees up your phone tho. I didnt realize how much that would be a problem until my kids wanted to see me play Android games on my TV. Or them just wanting to play games on my phone. This way I can give them games they can actually play...and leave me to my PS3 and 360...lol.

trestevenson

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Huawei Nexus 6P
At $100 a year to have the most current hardware, I don't think that's too shabby. I don't know if the software will be able to keep up with the advances in hardware, so it may not be economical for one person to purchase a new OUYA every year. At the time same though, it's nice that new customers to the market won't have to purchase a device that uses hardware from the previous year.