OUYA Development Consoles Shipping December 28th; Prototype Pictured

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
hands-ouya.jpg

This news came in late Friday, so we didn't quite get to it. It may have been percolating over the weekend, but just in case you didn't see it, we have word that the first Jelly-Bean powered OUYA development console will be shipping out on December 28th. As you can see by the pics we included, the OUYA prototype has also been outed. The first run development consoles will ship out to folks who pledged $699 or more. Here's a quote with some additional detail,

With the console, developers will be able to access the OUYA’s optimized Android Jelly Bean build designed specifically for big screen gaming. Although, the ODK (OUYA Development Kit) is still in development, likely for the foreseeable future, though will be accessible to everyone via a web portal.

OUYA-Console-Teardown.jpeg

Here's the email that OUYA sent out,

By December 25, we’ll email each of you a link to activate your account. For those of you who responded to our survey about preferred usernames, you’ll be able to confirm your choice. For the handful of popular names that had conflicts, we broke the tie(s) by honoring whomever backed OUYA first on Kickstarter. And, if any of you didn’t respond—or didn’t get your preferred username—you can choose a name when December 25 rolls around.

Here's a recap of specs for the device:
  • Tegra3 quad-core processor
  • 1GB RAM
  • 8GB of internal flash storage
  • HDMI connection to the TV, with support for up to 1080p HD
  • WiFi 802.11 b/g/n
  • Bluetooth LE 4.0
  • USB 2.0 (one)
  • Wireless controller with standard controls (two analog sticks, d-pad, eight action buttons, a system button), a touchpad
  • Android Jelly Bean
  • Ethernet
Who else is excited about what this Android gaming console? Sound off if you are one of the devs who signed up for this program.

Source: Gamefans

justin82

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
i am very interested in this ..

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
it just seems underpowered... 1 gb of ram and a tegra 3? I guess since it's not powering it's own screen sure... just... I guess we'll see. it's definitely interesting that's for sure.

danDroid

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Has anyone received one of these yet?

52brandon

Reaction score
it just seems underpowered... 1 gb of ram and a tegra 3? I guess since it's not powering it's own screen sure... just... I guess we'll see. it's definitely interesting that's for sure.
agreed. I don't get the benefit of this over just taking a phone with HDMI out and connecting a controller through Bluetooth. It's interesting for sure, but not $699 interesting in my book. Should be cheaper than a Wii IMO

droidxd00d

Reaction score
agreed. I don't get the benefit of this over just taking a phone with HDMI out and connecting a controller through Bluetooth. It's interesting for sure, but not $699 interesting in my book. Should be cheaper than a Wii IMO

the developer consoles were 699 and up. I got mine reserved for 99$ and that's the actual price they will sell for