Otterbox commuter Hyrbid?

rydude07

Reaction score
I was looking to get a case that has some protection, is thinner, easier to slide in and out of pockets because they are in my pockets all day, and does not have much lint.

The otterbox commuter seems to be pretty good. But, is this from amazon the same as the commuter? Why does it say Hybrid? Amazon.com: OtterBox Commuter Series Hybrid Case for Motorola Droid X (Black): Cell Phones & Accessories

Would you reccommend a rocketfish or one of these if i dont need much protection since these would probably do better in pockets because i dont like lint on my phones...
Droid X Smoke Grey Argyle TPU Gel Case Skin Cover Gray - eBay (item 300484024875 end time Jan-19-11 13:32:22 PST)

or Droid X SMOKE Grey Argyle Skin TPU Gel Case Cover Gray - eBay (item 260646399873 end time Feb-01-11 08:41:30 PST)

would you trust you phone in a non branded case like those on ebay? Should i just stick to a medium protection case like the commuter? Any other medium protection cases you reccommend that does well in pockets besides the commuter?

Thanks!

SquireSCA

Silver Member
Reaction score
I was looking to get a case that has some protection, is thinner, easier to slide in and out of pockets because they are in my pockets all day, and does not have much lint.

The otterbox commuter seems to be pretty good. But, is this from amazon the same as the commuter? Why does it say Hybrid? Amazon.com: OtterBox Commuter Series Hybrid Case for Motorola Droid X (Black): Cell Phones & Accessories

Would you reccommend a rocketfish or one of these if i dont need much protection since these would probably do better in pockets because i dont like lint on my phones...
Droid X Smoke Grey Argyle TPU Gel Case Skin Cover Gray - eBay (item 300484024875 end time Jan-19-11 13:32:22 PST)

or Droid X SMOKE Grey Argyle Skin TPU Gel Case Cover Gray - eBay (item 260646399873 end time Feb-01-11 08:41:30 PST)

would you trust you phone in a non branded case like those on ebay? Should i just stick to a medium protection case like the commuter? Any other medium protection cases you reccommend that does well in pockets besides the commuter?

Thanks!

I have not checked out those others, but I do have the Otterbox Commuter, and I like it a lot. I considered that and a similar model from Incipio. I had the Incipio on my iPhone and loved it, but the Otterbox is a very nice, sleek and protective case and I would recommend it.

OP
R

rydude07

Reaction score
Thanks for your help!

My only concern with the otterbox commute is that the home keys backlight does not show through the case. Does that bother you? I know I will be using my phone at night a lot as well without any external lighting, do you have trouble finding which key to press or whatever? I would totally pull the trigger on the commute except for that one problem...

How is it coming in and out of a pocket and lint collection? I always keep my phone in my front left pocket...

Is the commute that amazon is selling the same thing, because the one that amazon is selling is called the otterbox commuter "hybrid" ?

Thanks again for all of your help! I will be purchasing today!

Last edited:

SquireSCA

Silver Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your help!

My only concern with the otterbox commute is that the home keys backlight does not show through the case. Does that bother you? I know I will be using my phone at night a lot as well without any external lighting, do you have trouble finding which key to press or whatever? I would totally pull the trigger on the commute except for that one problem...

How is it coming in and out of a pocket and lint collection? I always keep my phone in my front left pocket...

Is the commute that amazon is selling the same thing, because the one that amazon is selling is called the otterbox commuter "hybrid" ?

Thanks again for all of your help! I will be purchasing today!

They call it a hybrid because it is two layers of protection. Most cases are either soft silicone, or hard plastic. This one is a mixture of both, hence it is a "hybrid". :)

As for the keys not lighting, that does not bother me, but the rubber over the home keys is thick and squishy, so you do have to use more pressure to get the keys to depress and click. I just chalk that up to the way it is if you want a protective case. Kinda like wearing gloves... if you want them to be really warm, then you know you will sacrifice dexterity and the ability to feel things.

As for lint, it isn't too bad. But I wiped mine down with this stuff called Plexus... I use it to shine up and polish my motorcycles and helmets, so it cleans it and leaves it a bit more slick.

firepit

Reaction score
I also have the commuter. Really like it, much better on the lint pick up issue. I do have concerns on heat, do I need to worry about the when summer comes?

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App