OTA Updating with Safestrap and Installed Safe System ROM

CamoCustom

Reaction score
Thanks a lot for safestrap, and the guides that accompany it! I do have a question that wasnt answered at all, and really not even brought up much.

Currently: I have installed safestrap, backed up stock Rooted Rom, switched to safe, flashed eclipse 2.2 for bionic on .902, things have been just perfect, no problems.

The new OTA update for .904+ will be coming soon, what is the exact method of being able to receive that OTA update? I sawin safestrap instructions I need to flash reinstall partition, would that be using safestrap or RSD lite? Or do we even have to do it at all?

And when it comes to getting rid of ROM on safe side, how do you do it? just wipe the data? I will be needing the new eclipse for .904 so thats why I asked. Thanks, Most of this is pretty simple for me to understand, so give it to me!

OP
CamoCustom

CamoCustom

Reaction score
Granted, it may be a newb question, but Its a valid one, I have not found a single guide as to actually doing this.

Ziggie

Reaction score
Thanks a lot for safestrap, and the guides that accompany it! I do have a question that wasnt answered at all, and really not even brought up much.

Currently: I have installed safestrap, backed up stock Rooted Rom, switched to safe, flashed eclipse 2.2 for bionic on .902, things have been just perfect, no problems.

The new OTA update for .904+ will be coming soon, what is the exact method of being able to receive that OTA update? I sawin safestrap instructions I need to flash reinstall partition, would that be using safestrap or RSD lite? Or do we even have to do it at all?

And when it comes to getting rid of ROM on safe side, how do you do it? just wipe the data? I will be needing the new eclipse for .904 so thats why I asked. Thanks, Most of this is pretty simple for me to understand, so give it to me!

I too am interested in this answer. Granted its now a .905 question instead of a .904 question...

I am stock rooted with Safestrap and Voodoo Root Keeper. Is there a step by step guide that I missed for getting the new .905 update and not losing root. Do I update the safe partition or the unsafe partition?

Any help would be appreciated.

Ziggie

Reaction score
I'm replying to my own thread because I feel kinda stupid. I didn't read enough about safestrap. The unsafe system is one that needs to be updated and voodoo should be used on it to prevent the loss of root access. After the OTA, you should go back to your safe system and install whatever ROM you'd like.

matjmonk

Reaction score
Here's a link that may help some of y'all out with your questions on going from .90x to 905. I've used tucknology's procedure and it worked great, especially the section on safestrap (which seems to be generating so many of the questions). I had to reroot and reinstall safestrap but was able to restore from my backup so everything was recovered. Hope this helps you folks.

5.9.905 Leak for Droid Bionic [UPDATED 6/6/2012] - DROID BIONIC - droidHIVE Forums

OP
CamoCustom

CamoCustom

Reaction score
OTA rootkeeper protected root for me when I did the manual update. You can get it from the play store

Sent from my DROID BIONIC