Ota update over leaked update

Reaction score
Okay i installed the leaked update and it worked wonders for my phone all problems gone. I just have ocd about updates and i Want to know if i can install the official ota over the leaked update without incident. I dont wanna sfb cause im flashed to cricket.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

OP
H
Reaction score
Are you Sure? Is there a website where I can read this?

spice

Reaction score
They send the update out to a small sample of d3 owners and get their feedback about how it addressed any issues and how their phone is working after updating. They call this a leak, or soak test. It's the same update they plan to release en masse, but they let a small group of people try it out first. If they get feedback that indicates the update works well, they make it available to everyone.

There recently was a gingerbread update available for the droid incredible. It caused a lot of problems for people who installed it after they released it to everybody, so they yanked it. They will improve it and rerelease it when it's ready. This is what they try to avoid by utilizing a "leak" or "soak test".

Sent from my DROI D3 using DroidForums

OP
H
Reaction score
Oh I thought the soak test was like a beta and they'd fix anything if it didn't work

ndoren

Reaction score
The leaked update and the official OTA update are identical. It's been verified by several ROM developers, including HashCode over at XDA, who verified the file checksums of the zip files. Tom Crews, commenting above, is a reputable developer and his word would have been enough for me anyway :)

Yes, you can install the official OTA over the leaked update, which is nothing more than applying the OTA twice (obviously, since they're the same update). There just isn't any point to this, well, except for I made a goof. I actually did apply the update twice, as I didn't like the version of swype included with the update, but accidentally blew away the only version on my phone in the process of trying to install the swype beta. At any rate, I finally got the swype beta installed and working well, but during that process I did apply the OTA update zip twice to help fix my swype screw up. No harm in doing so, but certainly no point either, and probably just asking for trouble if you do it for no good reason. Neall

OP
H
Reaction score
Is there any harm in doing so? Like at all?

ndoren

Reaction score
Is there any harm in doing so? Like at all?

Didn't harm me, but your mileage may vary. Again, I don't see the point in reflashing this update twice, unless you have some specific reason. The leaked OTA and official one are the same, so why bother. In my case, I reflashed the OTA nearly immediately after the first, because I made a goof to the system, and it caused no harm. Maybe if you wait days or weeks, then reflash it, perhaps it could cause a problem, because I have no idea how it configures Dalvik cash, clears data areas, or whatever.

Mugen

Reaction score
I checked my phone and my brother in laws phone. Seems everything is the same but the PRL Version. Whats the PRL Version anyways?

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

OP
H
Reaction score
Prls are. Preffered roaming lists.it just updates. Your coveragemaps and whatnot

Fr33dom

Reaction score
... a list of towers. Update it with *226 and choose option 2.