Installing the leaked update

Prsterero

Reaction score
If I were to install the leaked update would it render me unable to receive the official one or others in the future? I'm also rooted and know I will need to un freeze the bloat for updates. Does it also remove root and if it does can I re root it with the same method?

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

Last edited:

linuxgator

Reaction score
Nobody is really sure if it will prevent you from installing the official OTA. Rumors are that it is the same build as the leak, but until we see it nobody can be sure. You should unfreeze all the bloat to install the leaked update. You will probably lose root, but you will be able to re-root using the same method as before. They're working on a way of returning the phone to the original version .959, but i'm not sure how the progress is going with that. If they can come up with a way, then you will at worst have to downgrade to that and then be able to apply the OTA.

pistacio

Reaction score
You don't really have to unroot, per say. I used rootkeeper in the market. It backs up your root, allowing you to temporary unroot then re-root after you apply the update. Worked for me!

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums App

Fr33dom

Reaction score
You just won't get the update OTA according to Moto. Also you should note that there is some speculation that Moto will add a patch that will block root. I'm not sure how valid that is and I would think if they do that version numbers would change.

joeyx2

Reaction score
If you install the leak and the official update comes out and someone posts the official update (when it comes out) will we be able to install that one just like the leak.

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums