OTA Update? Bootloader versions? Patches? Leaks?

Kuonji

Reaction score
Hello all,

Just had a few questions about some of these things to bring my understanding all together.

I'm on Blurry 1.0. 'System Version' says 2.3.15.MB810

An OTA update is attempting to install itself occasionally. I hit cancel every time.

I ultimately want to:

Try the new version of Blurry.
Try out Focused.
Have the ability to go back to exactly where I am right now if I don't like either.

But I have no idea if I need to accept this OTA update first before I try any of this, or what order I should be doing things in. I seem to understand that the OTA update also updates the bootloader? And that you can't go backwards on something because of it.

Any advice? Thank you!

Droid-Xer

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
If you accept the OTA, which you can't right now since you're ROMmed, you cant revert back to an older system version. In order to accept the OTA you must be stock with all bloatware back on the phone, its ok to be rooted, but you can't be deodexed, or have bootstrap.

OP
K

Kuonji

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply.

I actually have a backup that I made using the Bootstrap basically right after I rooted it. Everything should be in place, there.

If I took a backup of my system as it is right now, then apply my old backup to get the OTA, does that mean I can't re-apply the backup I took today?

I'm talking about a whole image backup that is made by the bootstrap program.

Thanks!

Droid-Xer

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
No, once you accept and install the OTA, its best to remove all backups on the older system version because newer systems aren't backward compatible. So if you have a completely stock rom then flash that and attempt install of OTA if you wish to. But don't revert back. Blurry isn't available yet for 2.2.1 but focused is.

Also it might be best to remove bootstrap by using root explorer.

OP
K

Kuonji

Reaction score
Ah. So it is pretty much a fact of life that if you want to stay on top of the latest versions of these custom roms, that you'll be reverting back to 'stock' to get OTA updates from time to time?

Or will the release of an SBF for those new updates make that unnecessary down the road? Perhaps I should just wait for that for simplicity sake?

Droid74

Reaction score
Ah. So it is pretty much a fact of life that if you want to stay on top of the latest versions of these custom roms, that you'll be reverting back to 'stock' to get OTA updates from time to time?

Or will the release of an SBF for those new updates make that unnecessary down the road? Perhaps I should just wait for that for simplicity sake?

To get the new system versions you need to take the OTA. Developers arent going to keep making ROMs for the old system versions so you might as well move forward. You are using a pretty old version of Blurry anyways by several versions. To use the newest versions that Drod releases in he future you will need to be on 2.3.340 anyways.

Droid-Xer

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
No SBF can't update you. Its only OTA and sometimes leaks, but you'll have to eventually get back to OTAs on leaks too. The next update probably wont be until gingerbread, if we get it.

OP
K

Kuonji

Reaction score
Ok cool. Thanks for your help. The takeaway important point here seems to be that if you want to enjoy these custom roms, prepare to configure your phone so that you can receive the OTA updates from time to time.