OTA and rooting

DroidFan291

Reaction score
Sorry if this has been asked before, but I didn't see an answer for it.

I've rooted my phone and used the voodoo "lag fix" to speed up my phone. I'm very happy with it and don't plan to do much more in the way of modifications.

My question is as follows, with my phone rooted and the voodoo fix in place, will I be able to receive over the air updates? I would like to be able to get 2.2 or a GPS fix if one is released. Would there be anything unexpected with an OTA with my current set up.

Thanks

bigredcat

Reaction score
Yes, you can install 2.2 when and if it comes out. Are you running stock root or a rom? I am running JTs Super Clean rom, and that blocks all of the update alerts anyways. I would wager that 2.2 will be out through custom roms faster than through Verizon. It was that way on my Moto Droid.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yes, you can install 2.2 when and if it comes out. Are you running stock root or a rom? I am running JTs Super Clean rom, and that blocks all of the update alerts anyways. I would wager that 2.2 will be out through custom roms faster than through Verizon. It was that way on my Moto Droid.

Placebo. Overclocking makes it faster not the Custom Rom. That's my opinion, you are of course entitled to yours.;)

bL33d

Reaction score

Placebo. Overclocking makes it faster not the Custom Rom. That's my opinion, you are of course entitled to yours.;)

Huh he aint talking about the speed of any rom... He was talking about releases.

OP
D

DroidFan291

Reaction score
Yes, you can install 2.2 when and if it comes out. Are you running stock root or a rom?

Thanks for the reply. I'm running stock root. My concern is whether or not I'll be able to simply use the normal OTA updates or if I'll need to install the update manually.
Thanks again.

bigredcat

Reaction score
Yes, I was talking about the release of updates not the speed. Though I do have my Fascinate at 1.2Ghz now.

Yes, you will have to install the update manually if you want to revert back to the Verizon OTA updates. I haven't looked at the procedure but it can't be more difficult than rooting the phone. I wont go back to stock, unless they come out with 2.2 OTA before the custom 2.2 roms.

Raptor007

Reaction score
So if you root, and run a custom ROM to dump the crapware from Verizon (whether its a 2.1 or 2.2 custom ROM) how do you manually get the OTA updates if you are running a custom ROM that is?