Double checking before flashing...

prenedo

Reaction score
So I rooted my phone a couple weeks ago by flashing SC 2.9. Just recently flashed 2.9.2 over that (without wiping phone data). All was good, flashed a compatible theme, all was good, flashed the ComaVolt Voodoo kernel, all is good. I am new to this, but am picking up on it pretty quick and just had a few questions/clarifications....

I want a new theme, so I need to reflash a rom in order to do so right? Like starting from a clean slate.

When flashing different rom's will it wipe my data/apps (which are backed up just in case) like the original SC 2.9 ODIN did? How do I know if it will?

If I flash a ROM with a voodoo kernel, that kernel will replace my ComaVolt right? meaning I need to reflash the kernel that I like.

The way I understand it is whenever I need to flash anything but a kernel (and I got the voodoo lag fix and nonvoodoo thing down) I need to start from a freshly flashed ROM, then apply theme, then apply Kernel?

Just to make sure I do this right.... I got SuperFrankenClean2_9_2nv, NitroDark Eclipse, my old theme and the ComaVolt EC10voodoo zip all on my phone... I'm going to clear cache/dalvik, disable lag fix, flash SC 2.9.2nv (not sure if this will wipe my phone, that's really what I am wondering..), after rebooting and possibly restoring, I'll flash NitroDark Eclipse then flash the Voodoo Kernel again. Is this the easiest process to change my Theme?

hecantbreathe

Reaction score
So I rooted my phone a couple weeks ago by flashing SC 2.9. Just recently flashed 2.9.2 over that (without wiping phone data). All was good, flashed a compatible theme, all was good, flashed the ComaVolt Voodoo kernel, all is good. I am new to this, but am picking up on it pretty quick and just had a few questions/clarifications....

I want a new theme, so I need to reflash a rom in order to do so right? Like starting from a clean slate.

When flashing different rom's will it wipe my data/apps (which are backed up just in case) like the original SC 2.9 ODIN did? How do I know if it will?

If I flash a ROM with a voodoo kernel, that kernel will replace my ComaVolt right? meaning I need to reflash the kernel that I like.

The way I understand it is whenever I need to flash anything but a kernel (and I got the voodoo lag fix and nonvoodoo thing down) I need to start from a freshly flashed ROM, then apply theme, then apply Kernel?

Just to make sure I do this right.... I got SuperFrankenClean2_9_2nv, NitroDark Eclipse, my old theme and the ComaVolt EC10voodoo zip all on my phone... I'm going to clear cache/dalvik, disable lag fix, flash SC 2.9.2nv (not sure if this will wipe my phone, that's really what I am wondering..), after rebooting and possibly restoring, I'll flash NitroDark Eclipse then flash the Voodoo Kernel again. Is this the easiest process to change my Theme?

Yes I would reflash the rom before you flash new theme. ROMs that come with a kernel will replace your current one. ROMs that don't come with a kernel wont. When you're on a non voodoo kernel you don't need to mess with the lagfix. It's okay to flash voodoo over non voodoo and voodoo over voodoo. But you don flash non voodoo over voodoo without disabling the lag fix first.

Boot into cwm
Clear cache
Clear dalvik cache
Installed rom
Reboot
Go back to cwm
Flash kernel
Reboot
Go back to cwm
Flash theme
Reboot

Sent from my SC'd 2.9.2 PB & J voodoo'd Fascinate

OP
P

prenedo

Reaction score
K. Sounds good. Thank you.... Will I need to restore apps? Or will flashing new roms keep my apps and data intact?

Hymizzle

Reaction score
Reflashing the same rom keeps your apps and data. If you flash a different rom over another one then you lose your apps/data.

hecantbreathe

Reaction score
Reflashing the same rom keeps your apps and data. If you flash a different rom over another one then you lose your apps/data.

No, that isn't exactly true. If you flash dark revenge over superclean you won't lose any apps unless you data wipe. If you go to an AOSP ROM then yes you'll lose everything because you need to data wipe. It's always best to back up everytime before you flash anything. You never know when you'll hit that brick wall.

OP
P

prenedo

Reaction score

No, that isn't exactly true. If you flash dark revenge over superclean you won't lose any apps unless you data wipe. If you go to an AOSP ROM then yes you'll lose everything because you need to data wipe. It's always best to back up everytime before you flash anything. You never know when you'll hit that brick wall.

Thanks guys. That's what I was looking for.